September Newsletter

 

A look back at what I've been reading,  cooking, organizing,  watching, and crafting, over the past month.

What I Have Been Reading

Although there's not a lot here I'd really strongly recommend.

I did really enjoy the House Keepers.  Not at all what I expected - but it was an interesting read.  The Art Of French Murder was my biggest disappointment - I thought I would LOVE that.  Cozy mystery, Julia Child, France...  but it was just really not great.  I did really enjoy the Jana DeLeon books very much. That series has gotten better as it aged, and it was good, light, and funny, from the start.  It's a better version of the Stephanie Plum books, I think - less romance, more kooky old ladies.  LOL!  The new series by her was good too. Not great, but quite good.

Salt House was a book club read - not my normal genre, but really quite good.  Those who attended who are also part of a grief share group REALLY loved this book.

I've been going back and reading some of the Burkholder series, by Linda Castillo,  about a formerly Amish Police Chief.  I have to say, I really like the later ones in the series a lot better.  They get less graphic later on - the early books are a bit too much for me.  

House in the Pines was a solid 3 star read for me.  I know a lot of others do not like the ending at all, but I didn't mind it.  Not the best book I've read, but better than several others (The Quiet Tenant was terrible!) that I read this past month.

I have a list of books I've been saving for October - I love to read seasonally.  I'll come back with this years list as soon as I get a chance..  here's my list from 2020.  I still haven't read all of these.

https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2020/10/20-books-to-read-this-halloween.html

And, if you have Amazon Prime, don't forget to pick your FREE first reads book for this month! https://amzn.to/3LD43jz

===================
From My Craft Desk
===================
The Franks
I downloaded this file right away - knowing I LOVE these jointed projects. But then I really, really struggled with paper selection. Once I stopped trying to exactly replicate the example photo, I realized I had so many great options in my stash, for making these! File is from Dreaming Tree - https://shrsl.com/48ebt

See more photos of mine here:

Eventually this will be full bouquet..  but this is what I have completed so far.  All free files - including the milk can vase.  Find them all here: 

I finished these Pokemon Projects back in April, but here I finally finished the post telling you about them.  :-)  https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2023/09/pokemon-birthday-projects-with-cricut.html

Dungeons & Dragons Shirts, with free svgs

Don't forget to check the monthly list of items free this month ONLY

And the list of upcoming summits is here:


==============

In My Kitchen
===============
See my fall menu plan, and how I menu plan seasonally, here:

This past month I've been on a mission to compile all of my favorite recipes in ONE place.  You'd think, since I've already printed one cookbook for all of our family years ago, that I had that done - but it turns out it's a never-ending process, and that I continue to keep recipes haphazardly all over the place.   :-)  This past month I've made some really great progress on getting them all into one place - hopefully I'll get a new, updated, cookbook printed for our family this year in time for Christmas.

I've been canning lots of tomatoes and sauce, got the corn in the freezer for the year, and tried a new recipe for "cowboy candy" - which is hot peppers in a LOT of sugar.

Canning Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce:

Making Basil Salt

One of our favorite fall meals is pulled pork on mac and cheese.
Here's the recipe for the pulled pork seasoning I use:

New to me recipe that I have been loving this past month.
Blackberry Clafoutis
This was the blackberry - but you can make this any flavor.  I'd like to try a cherry, and I have an idea for a maple pumpkin for this fall...  I love this recipe because it works as a breakfast, or a dessert, or an afternoon snack with coffee or tea...

================
On My TV
==============
Mrs Harris Goes To Paris
This was a really, really enjoyable movie.
I found it on Amazon Prime

Also on Amazon, we watched Harlan Coben's Shelter series
It reminded me a lot of Stranger Things.  We liked it.  

Acorn is the only channel I subscribe to. This past month (and it took me an entire month - I don't watch a lot of tv, mostly while folding laundry...) I watched the 3 part series on the Great Train Robbery.  There are two parts that are sort of a movie, and a third that is a documentary, with one of the robbers being interviewed and the mystery of the "Ulsterman" in A Tale Of Two Thieves

The Chelsea Detective is back on Acorn this month too - I really enjoy that series.  We've been watching Murdoch Mysteries in the evenings here..  
You can also find this series on Hulu, and the free Plex app.

On PBS (we have an antennae at the farm for local channels - it's hooked into an Amazon Recast - which is a dvr. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to have discontinued the Recast?  That's a shame - it works really well  as a dvr for our antennae..) 
Season 2 of Professor T

=================
Around My Home
[Organization]
================
I watched a few videos from the Get Organized Summit recently, and of all that I watched, it's the one by The Cross Legacy, on fridge organization, that i keep thinking about. I'm still not completely convinced her system is for me - but I think about it a LOT.  She "decants" nearly everything, has a gorgeously organized fridge, with the goal of not wasting any food.  I'm considering implementing a lot of her principles - particularly the salad basket. [And I now know that storing lemons with my avocadoes makes them last longer.. that has stuck with me]
  If you missed the summit, it's ok, she has a similar video on her Youtube Channel that anyone can watch any time for free - 

Find My Free Printable Christmas Planner here:

And if you are looking for a whole house cleaning plan leading up to Christmas, check out the Holiday Grand Plan here:


















No comments:

Post a Comment