Paper Sunflower In a Milk Can

 
This is my fall bouquet project for 2023 - but it's taking me a very long time to complete it.  So I am adding the flowers to this post as I complete them, and hopefully I'll finish it before I start pulling out the Christmas decorations this November.  :-)  Here's a look at the flower svgs I've used, and how I have modified them, so far:

Sunflowers in a Paper Milk Can- Using Free SVGS

The finished Milk Can Vase is about 10 inches tall - without the flowers.

There is a pdf file included, with a few instructions for assembly.

I did not use all of the layers and pieces.  This is designed to be good and sturdy, with a heavy "base" layer, and then decorative paper glued on top, and then the "grid" added over the top of all of that, if you want it.  I just made the "base" layer out of brown instead of white, and glued the grid over the top, to mimic the old metal milk cans I have from my grandfathers farm.

I used the layers on the left.  I did not use any of the layers on the right.
On the left is the dotted scored version, on the right is the full score line version.  I used the dotted score lines, and left them cut, rather than changing them to score.

Once you delete the extras, you need to duplicate the longest piece so that you have 8 copies.
What I have shown here is what I cut for my can - it took 4 sheets of 12x12 paper.

===================
SUNFLOWER #1

The Sunflower SVG Is Free From:
Again, there is a pdf file included, with a few instructions for assembly.

If you do not resize the sunflower file, the largest layer will be about 7  inches in diameter.  This is a large flower. I wanted to fit it all on one sheet of 12x12 paper, so I did resize a little.  My finished flower is about 5.5 in diameter.

I grouped the yellow petals,  then chose "select all" center, so that all of the other pieces were in the center of the petals.

Then I chose Select all, and resized  to 11.5 tall.  By selecting all before I resized, it shrank everything  - not just the yellow pieces.
I then attached to keep them in place - so that cricut would cut them all on one mat.  Without  attaching them, it sent this to two mats, every time - even though it clearly fits on one.

The leaves for this are quite nice - change the lines to "draw" and use a marker to draw them on.  I deleted two, thinking two would be enough for one flower..  and then I didn't use my leaves at all anyway.  

I used a wooden chopstick as my stem, wrapping it in floral tape, because I thought it would be sturdier than wire, for such a large flower.  It's definitely sturdier, but if I am going to keep it in the milk can without the "filler" holding it up, I would need to place something in the base of the can.  As is, the flower is not really long enough to reach the bottom.  The white silk filler flowers are holding it up.

===============
Adding Gerbera Daisies
===============
 I plan to add some smaller flowers into this bouquet, but today I added two of the Gerbera Daisies from Sweet Red Poppy.  They are about the same size as the sunflower.
  Free svg:

When you upload this one, it's a LARGE flower for a bouquet.  The outer petals are 6.5 inches in diameter.  I sized it down so that the largest, outside petals were 5.5 - allowing me to fit more on the paper.  But I think if I were to make these normally (remember, the sunflower and vase for this are pretty large to start with) I'd size them down even further - I think I'd like these at about 4 inches in diameter normally.  

On the right is the original upload.
On the left, I have deleted the leaves (I knew I wouldn't use them) and resize the entire group to:
7.93 x8.22

My color choices - two flowers here, both the same color
(the center strips that get rolled are a darker brown - I forgot to include them in this photo)

I really like this flower a lot.  Quick and easy to assemble.  Just very large!

Two flowers, and a filler silk flower from Hobby Lobby.

The arrangement so far...  


=======================
A Different Bouquet
=====================


This is the paper flower bouquet I made from Abbi Kirstin's Flowerfest earlier this year.
It's no longer free, but I give some options for free options for most of the flowers 

==============
MORE MILK CANS

[Not Paper]
==============

We have a LOT of milk cans around here - most of which are the old traditional sized ones.  

My husband's Aunt Gladys hired someone to take one of the milk cans from her daddy's farm, and paint a photo of the farm on it.  This is not our farm, it's the farm next door,  now Amish owned, that belonged to my husbands grandparents.  This can is now here in my hallway.

One of my early cricut projects

Working from my porch, you can see one of the 6 rusty metal ones that sit in front of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment