Tool Talk Tuesday - The Tools I Prefer When Working With Cricut

All of the "Tool Talk Tuesday" facebook posts in one long list.  

Some of the crafting  tools regularly found on my desk

See My Amazon "Favorite Craft Products" List here:

Fabric Tape Measure

Whenever someone asks what tools are "needed" when buying a cricut, this is my first answer.  I have 4 fabric tape measures, and one pull out fabric tape measure, all in the box of cricut tools on my desk.  No matter what I am making, I will need to measure. Often more than once.  

When my design is ready, I check the measurements at the top of the screen, then measure that size out on the item I'll be applying it to, to make sure I like the way it fits. T-shirts, cups, pot holders, plates, Christmas ornaments..  It doesn't matter what I am making, a fabric tape measure is one item I use on every single project.

You can usually find a two pack at the Dollar Tree - for $1, or this 3 pack is $3.29 on Amazon.
https://amzn.to/2VHAl6k

====================
Reynolds Freezer Paper

A roll of Reynolds freezer paper sits in my window sill. The other end is tacked- with a thumbtack under the edge of my desk, and this is the surface on which  I almost always work.

The paper is  coated thick enough that I can paint on it & it does not bleed through to my wooden desk. It's waxy enough that vinyl can be stuck to it, and easily removed.   I frequently stick designs to it as I weed them, and then I peel them up and apply them to the item they belong on.  Glue wipes off with a diaper wipe, if you get it before it dries.

 When it becomes too messy, I tear off the end & tack the clean end under.  I bought a 150ft roll at Sam's club nearly two years ago, and I'm still using that same roll.  It's 18 inches wide - I think the smaller boxes, with 50ft, are only 15 inches wide.   On Amazon, 150 ft is around $23.   https://amzn.to/39VyEFT

I know others work on Teflon Sheets - the mats you use with a heat press.  The benefit of these is that they will last a lot longer.  https://amzn.to/3od9HOm   They are more slippery, more difficult to attach to my desk, and the ones I have are not as wide as my freezer paper, so I rarely use them here.

I've never used it myself, but Amazon has a roll of brown  - like Kraft paper, but labeled as freezer paper - that may work too.  https://amzn.to/2Wgcvi5  It's cheaper than the Reynolds brand, and is the color of Kraft paper.

=======================
This is the cordless hot glue "applier"  (fb prefers we not use the 3 letter G word that would normally be used here. )  that I use.  There are other cordless options, but  I bought this one in particular because it reviewed well, and I loved the stand. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and have been really happy with it.  

================


Weeding Tools
Here at my desk, I have a couple of sets of picks from Harbor Freight, the Cricut Brand Tool Set, and the Xinart Tool Set.  This is the only time I can say, I prefer the Cricut version

I do not yet have a pin pen - although I've heard great things about them! Personally, I do not like the Harbor freight picks.  Yes, they work...  and when a group of bridesmaids comes to the farm to work on a project for the wedding (we are at an age where all of our kids, and our kids friends, are getting married, so that happens more often than you would think!), it's great to have a bunch of tools, without spending a lot of money.  

But I, myself,  will reach for my cricut  (or xinart version) weeding tool every time, and it will bother me to have to use something else.  It's just what I am most comfortable using.  I bought the Xinart set when the handle on my cricut set started breaking.  I find the weeding tools to be nearly identical, but the scraper in the xinart set is plastic instead of metal, and I do not like that at all.  If I were to buy another set right now, I'd purchase the DiyIt set - it looks to be identical to the cricut tools, and it is only $8.99 on Amazon. https://amzn.to/2UdXQmE  Caregy also has a set now too - https://amzn.to/3ockAA8

Here's how to make your own pin pen, with a sewing needle and a mechanical pencil:

=====================


Mats
I'm not fussy about brand when it comes to mats. 
I have used the Cricut mats with flowers, the cricut mats without flowers (the newer ones), Nicapa, Emigoo, Monicut, Xinart....  The only real difference I have seen is the price.  The newer cricut mats, without the flowers, loose their green color faster - but somehow that hasn't really effected how they work.  The color scrapes off but they were still sticky.

My guideline is no more than $10 for 3 mats - Nicapa is the brand I own the most of, because they most often go on sale.
I usually purchase them when one of the brands is on sale  3 for $7.99

As for mat colors: Blue for Paper, Green for Vinyl, Purple for Fabric...  but the reality is, once the mats have been used a few times, the color is irrelevant.  And although I prefer the blue, less sticky, mat for regular paper and vellum, I use the green mats for card stock.  

Mats can also be cleaned and even re-tacked, here's how:

=====================


Painters Tape
You can pick up a roll of this at the Dollar Tree, and it has a lot of uses!  I use it to pick up tiny pieces when weeding a design, to help hold faux leather in place on the mat, and if I don't think my mat is as sticky as it needs to be, I may use painters tape to hold the vinyl or cardstock in place until I get my mats cleaned and re-stuck again.

  I use painters tape a lot in paper projects that have a lot of small pieces - I stick the tiny detail pieces to a piece of painters tape so that I don't lose them off my desk.  They remove without tearing, when I am ready to glue them fast. 

 Painters tape also helps hold vinyl stencils in place when glass etching. 

For some projects, painters tape can work as transfer tape, to transfer a design.  It's often used to apply vinyl to Christmas ornaments.

 It's a cheap, versatile, item that is just good to have on hand in the craft room

=====================


Vinyl & HTV
I quickly found that for me, Cricut vinyl was way too expensive, and the quality was just not great.  For a long time, I used only Orcal and Siser.  And then, thanks to suggestions from some of you, I tried brands like Frisco, Caregy, and Transwonder.  I haven't purchased Siser or Orcal since, only because of the price difference.  Caregy HTV can be as low as 70 cents a sq foot - compared to $3 a sq foot for Siser.  And in my wash test, I've found Caregy, Siser, and Transwonder all hold up exactly the same.   Recently I've been using HTVRont as well - and I'm really liking that brand, and all the free extras like free weeding tools, and sometimes free cutting mats, that come in their packages.

 I also really like the craftables brand of vinyl.

 I have a price sheet with a break down of cost per a sq foot by brand (including shipping costs),  and links for where I purchased them, here: 

=================

Iron
I do not own a heat press, nor do I own an Easy Press.  I've made hundreds of shirts over the years - and dozens of pillows, tote bags, etc.  All with a regular old thrift store iron.  Now keep in mind, I do not sell.  If I was selling, I would likely invest in a heat press, simply because it would be faster when doing high volumes.    I would definitely purchase a heat press with a cup attachment.  You can buy a heat press, with mug attachment, for less than the price of the Cricut Mug press.  (This one is $188, and it reviews really well  - https://amzn.to/3AzG4tw Although I will say, the mug press is cute, and takes up a lot less room than a full heat press machine.  That is the only reason I have never purchased a Heat Press - I really don't want to make room for it in my craft area.  If you are considering an Easy Press for that reason (lack of space) be sure to look at other brands - they are a fraction of the cost of the cricut brand, and review well - https://amzn.to/3xFHMYo

=========================
Pens & Markers

Cricut makes their own brand of markers to fit into the machine for writing and drawing - but there are a lot of other markers that fit right in the machine and work great too!  See examples here:

You can also add pencil grips to thinner markers to make them fit, buy adaptors for sharpie markers (or if you know someone with a 3d Printer, there are free files to print them) and for some markers, you can just add a little masking tape around the marker to make it sit in to the pen holder nicely.

I tend not to fuss with adjustments, and even though my husband is an avid 3d printer, I've never used any of the pen holders than the one that comes right in the original cricut machine.  My most used pen is a plain old bic pen - it fits right in and writes great.  Which markers I use varies - lately the Staedtler markers from Wal-Mart (it's hit or miss, they are not all the same size - I just happened to get a good pack) are my favorites, but I probably use the Dollar Tree Markers ($1 a pack!) more than any others.

For more projects that combine 3D Printing and Cricut, be sure to check out the 3D printing tag in the group for this page:

====================
VLR removes HTV.
There are sometimes other ways to remove htv if you make a mistake.  You can try applying heat (an iron) to the back of the fabric.  You can try pure acetone (be careful - one time I used it, it smeared the color off the vinyl and ruined the fabric.  But sometimes it works)  

VLR is expensive.  On the plus site, I've been using this same can for 5 years, and there is plenty left.  And it works REALLY well.  I have a video showing how well it works, here:

VLR on Amazon
(I paid $18 - but it's now $25)

=======================

I use off brand replacement blades.
I love them, and they are so inexpensive!
See all the details here:

=================

Basting Adhesive Spray
This makes your mats temporarily very sticky.
It's really great for faux leather, and other material projects.  
But I've used it quick on a mat when my vinyl wasn't sticking too.  That's typically because the mat needs cleaned, but this is a quick fix. 

 I wouldn't recommend it for paper though - you'll have trouble removing the paper from the mat.  :-)

================
My husband printed this tool for flower rolling with his 3d printer.  It's one of several free files for making these tools.

======================
Flower making tools
Well, these are cake making tools that I use as flower making tools.  :-)
The round metal balls are much heavier than they look.  They help add curve and depth.  The thin pointy ones work sort of like scoring tools, adding vein details, etc.  They work best on a softer surface - I use an old mouse pad under my paper.

=================
I frequently forget to put the scoring stylus in the slot in my machine.
That's a problem when it's a detailed 3D paper project - but for cards, I just pull out my paper cutter/scoring tool.  I use the cutting option way more than I expected, too.  It's fantastic for quickly cleaning up the edges of my vinyl and paper scraps before I file them away.  

===================


Most often, I purchase Paper Studio from Hobby Lobby, because that is where I find the best selection, and it is on sale every other week.  This, almost always, has a white core.  Not always ideal for flower making.

 I like the Recollections brand from Michaels, but for the past year, our local store has not stocked the paper aisle well - it's a much smaller selection, and the sales are never as good as they used to be either.  

My opinion of the JoAnns paper really has nothing to do with the paper, but rather, my experience shopping at our local store.  It's not some place I frequent. [The last time I was in there were handwritten signs saying "cash only", and I was overcharged for paper that should have been on sale...]

Wal-Mart carries the Colobok brand, and I have been really impressed with the textured white.  Others have told me the Colorbok brand can be inconsistent in quality.  So far, I've been lucky, I really love this one.  The glitter cardstock sold on the same shelf is absolutely horrible for use in cricut - it simply does not cut well at all, it's too fibrous (like construction paper)
====================
Elmers Fine Tip Craft Bond Glue
This, and plain old glue sticks, are what I use the most for my paper projects.
I want to love the facier glues, like Bearly Art and Art Glitter Glue..
But the tops clog, and I find that very annoying. 
These are inexpensive, easy to find, and work well.
=====================
I bought these scraper tools in a sale, and I find that  I really like the felt top, when smoothing things down.  For scraping things up, I still prefer the plain plastic edged ones.
The felt comes seperate, and they come in a two pack, so if they were the only two I owned, I would apply the felt to one, and not to the other.

=====================
Foam dots and foam tape adds so much dimension to paper crafting projects.  
I buy almost all of mine at the Dollar Tree.  But I've been looking, and it just might be cheaper to buy them from Amazon.

====================



Silicone Baking Mats

I use these with all of my htv projects.  I do not use a heat press - I just use a good old iron.  I put the silicone baking mats under the fabric when pressing with the iron.


====================
I have two of these shoe holders in my craft room.  Both hold all the little misc. things that I just don't have room for on my desk.   I bought both of these at wal-mart, and they are much deeper, and heavier, than the ones at the Dollar Tree.  It was a really big difference.  Of course, it was a big price difference too..  but it was worth it for me to get the nicer ones, since these can be seen when you walk into the room.  (My craft area is the back entrance to our home - it's also the laundry room, coat room, and pantry...  so it gets a LOT of use.)
=================


What to Buy, What To Download, & How To Use It All


==============
MORE TO ADD

infusible ink markers


No comments:

Post a Comment