From Shadow Box Design to Charger Plate Sign - Using Slice In Design Space

Turning a shadow box design into a circular design that will work on a Dollar Tree Charger Plate.  [See more Dollar Tree Charger Ideas Here]

 Or as the "O" in a seasonal Home Sign.

This particular svg had been on sale - it's $7 normally.

The same basic concept will work with any shadow box design.

For this design, there are squares at the bottom for the lights to run through, when used as a shadow box.  I used the contour button to remove those bottom rectangles.


The charger plates I have currently have an center circle of 8.25.  So I wanted my finished paper cutting to be 8.25 in diameter.

In Design Space, I created one circle 8.25 in diameter, and then I sized the original shadow box design so that the circle would slice a nice "rim" around the design. For this specific svg, I resized the shadow box design to 9.926.  

Next I duplicated the circle. Then I selected both circles, duplicated again.  Then I selected all 4 circles and duplicated again - giving me 8 8.25 inch in diameter circles.  I needed 8 for this project, because there are 8 square layers that need sliced.

At the top of the screen (on a computer) choose select all, then align/center

More about using Align in Design Space:

Now over in the layers panel on the right, while holding down the cntrl button, select one square layer, and one circle.  That will select two items.  If only one item is selected, or more than 2 or selected, the slice button will be greyed out.  You can only slice when two items are selected.  Exactly two.

After you slice, you will have a bunch of extra pieces labeled "Slice Result"  Delete all but the one you want to keep.  If you look at the layers panel in the photo above, I selected three images to delete, saving the blue circle to cut.

Repeat this for each layer, until you are left with only circles.
 


The circles cut, and laid out in order for assembly.

For my ceramic floor tile Home Sign, I cut the design at 4 inches in diameter.
Here's a step by step tutorial for the making the  home sign, and lists of free svgs for each season:







 

No comments:

Post a Comment