Large Paper Bunny Flower - With Free SVG

 
Making a Large Paper Flower Bunny

I saw something similar to this year year or two ago, done by someone who sells large paper flower displays.  I'm pretty sure theirs was a lot fancier than this, but here's how I made my (most likely) quicker and easier version.

Materials:

  • 1 12x12 sheet pale pink cardstock for the feet and ears
  • 8 Sheets of 12x12 white card stock (I like the pack of colorbok textured white from Wal-Mart.  I don't love all of the cardstock they carry, but the white and blacks have worked great for me.  The pack of white is my favorite)
  • Optional - I used a piece of 5 x 10 inch foam board  to add stability to the back of this project.  I buy foam board by the sheet at the Dollar tree.
  • Glue - for the layered elements, feet, and ears, I used a glue stick.  For the rest, I used hot glue.
  • Optional  - Accent flower on ear
  • SVG For Various Parts 
==========
The SVG
==========

=============
Making The Flower
============

There are dozens of free large paper flower svgs.  I keep a list of them here:


For this, I used a simple petal design. 
It uses 1 hexagon shape 7 wide by 6 tall
and 8 each of 4 sizes of petals.


Petal Sizes:
2.265 x 3
3.005 x 4
3.775 x 5
4.580 x 6

Note that each petal is 1 inch smaller, from largest to smallest.  The exact width won't matter as much as the height.

The quickest way to do this in Design Space is to duplicate the petal 3 times.
Resize the petals, so you have one of each size. 

Line then up, group them, and duplicate the group.

Then take your cursor, drag it around all of the petals, and duplicate again.

Then again, drag your cursor across all of the petals, and duplicate again, so that you have 8 of each size.

In Design Space, use the shape tool to add a hexagon shape - second row, far right.
Size it 7 wide by 6 tall (approximately)

I didn't remember to take photos of my photo assembly for this exact flower, so here are photos from a different one that I made:

Start with the largest petals, overlapping them around the outside.
I do NOT glue mine down at first, I layer them all loosely to make sure they will fit the way I want, then I remove them all and start over, gluing as I go, outer layer first.

The important thing when making paper flowers is to stagger your petals.  Do not lay the next layer directly on top of the first, bur rather place the next petal in the middle, overlapping two of the outer petals.


===============
Flower Center
==============


For the center puff of this large paper flower, I did not use my cricut.  I could have, but I find it so much quicker and easier to just cut this design by hand.

Start with a 12 x 3.5 inch piece of cardstock.
Fold it in half.  

Cut slits through the fold, the entire length of the paper. 


Run a glue slick along the uncut edge, and roll up.

I didn't find this to be quite fluffy enough for me, so I added a second piece.  After I rolled that first piece, I cut a second piece, then wrapped the new one around the outside of the first one that was already rolled.


===============
Head & Feet
You could save a good bit of paper by only cutting the little triangles and adding them on top of the white piece, but layering the white over a full pink piece helps to add more stability to the project.

I cut these pieces at:
9.78 x 8.102

I'd wait to cut these until after you finish your large paper flower.  Once your flower is done, measure it, and make sure the head will fit the way you like.  Everyone spaces a bit differently when assembling large paper flowers, finished sizes can vary a bit.  


One way to judge the head size is to measure your completed flower (mine is 13 inches in diameter) then add that size circle to design space.  Now look at the head svg on the circle you added, and decide if it's the right size.

I cut the feet at:
3.168 x 4.362

Remember, you will need TWO of each of these pieces, so that you have two feet for your bunny.

===============
Legs
===========
For the legs, I used the shape tool in Design Space

I added the shape on the bottom right
Then resized it to 
1.154 x 3.449

Cut two.


===================
Rolled Paper Flower Accent
================

For the accent flower on the ear, you can use any small paper flower!  
One of these free daisy files would work well!

I used one I already had made - it's a larger rolled paper flower design that I don't really love - it was part of the bouquet svg that was temporarily free (but is no longer free)

============
Assembly
=============

The assembly is pretty straight forward - I glued it all to a piece of foam board for added stability.  The piece I used, a scrap, was roughly 5x10.

=============
Hanging
===========
My original plan was to put a soda can tab on the foam board, to hang this from - but the ear with the flower was too heavy and drooped.  So I used my weeding tool to poke holes in the tops of the ears, and ran beige bakers twine through the ears to hang.


=====================

Where To Find Free SVGS 
For Making Large Paper Flowers




No comments:

Post a Comment