How To Make A Grinch Stink Stank Stunk Ornament With Cricut

Grinch Stink Stank Stunk 2020, Using Free SVGS

If you are trying to make these ornaments this year with a photo you saved from a facebook post, that is not an svg.  Yes, it can be made into a cut file.  But you can also just download two separate free svgs, which are scalable vector graphics already sorted into layers, add some text, and customize your own version - with a little less frustration than trying to use a jpg. 

Here's a step by step how to.

If you have never used free svgs before, here's a step by step for how to download them and use them in Cricut Design Space.  https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2019/01/how-to-download-install-svg-to-design.html

Free Grinch Countdown SVGS

Free Mask SVGS

If you are following along on the 12 Week Christmas Craft Challenge, you may already have the Grinch count down in your design space projects.  


Open that project, at the top of the screen choose save, save as, and rename it.  Now you have two copies of this project - the original, and your new version. 

The first thing to do is delete, or hide, all of the text.  If you are using your previous project, you may need to detach all of the black items to do so.  I just went down through the layers panel and clicked on the eye beside each of the items I wanted to hide 

All though these items still appear in my layers panel, the line through the eye means they are hidden.  They will not appear on my design canvas, and they will not cut when I choose "Make It".

In this version, the ornament top is part of the black outline.  I cannot hide it, and contour will not work - contour would also remove the entire black outline.

So we slice.

Add a shape, and then with the shape and the black outline, but ONLY the shape and the black outline selected, choose the slice button at the bottom right.

If your slice button is greyed out, you most likely do not have two items selected.  You can only slice two items at a time in Design Space.  Exactly two.  Look in your layers panel, you may need to detach black items, or you may find that only one item selected.  You can select items from the layers panel, and sometimes that is easier than selecting them on the design canvas.

Once sliced, drag all of the pieces away and delete them.

In my project, you can see the squares at the top right  - leftover from when we used registration marks to layer these on the Christmas countdown boards.  These are not necessary, but if you want to learn more about using registration marks to layer vinyl, you can find that project here:

Upload the free mask svg of your choice, then rotate is and resize it until you like the way it looks.
I recommend sending it to the back (find that option under "Arrange") and I flipped it horizontally (under "flip").

And then I realized I did not pick the best mask for this - that's a lot of very little tiny cuts!  Cricut will do it, but I will lack the patience to weed that at ornament size.  

  I could upload a new free mask, but I decided just to use contour to remove the extra cuts.

Make sure ONLY the blue part of the mask is selected, and choose contour.
 
The image will be huge, and mostly off screen.  At the bottom left you can change the view to make it smaller, and you can move the slider bars to make the entire design visible.
Then, I chose "Hide all contours" on the bottom right.  Because I wanted to hide a LOT of cuts, this is fastest.  Once all the cuts are hidden, I then clicked on the cuts I wanted to unhide.  

This is what my design looks like after using contour. Contour is not permanent, you can open and close that window, hiding and unhiding cuts as often as you would like until you get the look you want.
As you can see here, I took the middle line out.  I had thought about putting the date, 2020, on the mask.  Later I changed my mind, deciding it would be too much of a pain to make it that way, so I went back to contour and re-added the center line in the mask.

To make this even easier to weed and layer, I changed the mask straps to black and welded them to the black hand outline.  Be sure to ungroup the mask first, select JUST the mask handles and the black grinch hand outline, and then choose weld. If you select the wrong thing, you can always choose undo and try again - but do not save or close your project until you have it the way you like.  Weld cannot be undone later.

This is a good time to choose select all, and group.  "Group" will hold your design in place while you add your text.  


Now to add the text.
The Grinch font is free on Dafont, named "Grinched"
This is not a font I use frequently, and I already have a LOT of fonts installed on my computer to scroll through - so I do not install it.  Design Space can't read system fonts properly anyway - it will never space them correctly.  I use the free Fontlab Pad for most of my text.  It saves as an svg, and it reads fonts right from the zip files, so there is no need to install fonts you don't use often.
So I downloaded the Grinched Font, opened fontlab pad, chose "file", browsed to the Grinched Zip file, then typed my text.  Saved as an svg, and uploaded it to design space.

Once my text was uploaded, I selected it and chose ungroup
Then I selected each section I would want a different color, and attached those items.  So S t i n k is attached, 2020 is attached, etc.

Then add a circle to Design Space, and size it to the size of your ornament.  Place the design on the circle and move it around until you get something you like.

I use the duplicate option a LOT when doing this.  If you kind of like one design but want to try something else, simply select all and duplicate.  Work on your new duplicate design, not moving anything on the original, in case you decide you like the first way best.

I decided I didn't care for the numbers in the grinched font, so I deleted those and retyped them in Arial Black.  Since I new I would manually be spacing them (I don't typically find that the curve option in design space works well with numbers)  myself anyway, I just typed them right in a text box in design space, ungrouped them, and rotated them around the curve of the circle.

This next step is a pain.  It annoys me every time, but I know it's worth it in the long run.  Now you ungroup everything.  Ungroup, ungroup, ungroup.  
And then select one color at a time, and attach those colors.  So select all of the red pieces, and attach.  then select all of the green pieces, and attach.  Everything has to be ungrouped, in this current version of Design Space, for you to attach like colors.

I'm whining a lot about this, but really, for this design you only have to attach the red and the green.  The black is all welded together, and there is only one white, and one blue, piece, so they do not need attached to anything.

You CAN make this without attaching. But I think it's easier to transfer the design if you don't have to line everything back up individually once cut.
For the second design - I used the same text.  And the same mask - I just deleted the straps.  (I tried leaving them on, but it didn't add enough to the design to make it worth the extra piecing, for me.  You can decide for yourself.  I frequently lack patience with small designs.)

The grinch here is free from craft chop

===========

====================
The Christmas Index
Where To Find: Free Christmas SVGS By Theme (Nativity, Grinch, A Christmas Story, Etc), Where To Find Free Christmas SVGS By Project (Gift Tags, 3D Paper, Earrings, etc) and Where To Find Free Christmas Project Tutorials & Gift Ideas.  Including an entire extra index just for making Christmas Ornaments.  Find it all here:

Quick Links:
 An Alphabetical Index Of My  Free SVGS By Theme Posts
==========================

==========================

To See All Of My Latest Free SVG Finds, 
Join Cricut Tips, Tutorials, & Free SVGS
There you will find themed posts with all of the latest links in the comments
And you can share your projects, tutorials, and ask questions there too!


















1 comment:

  1. I have the svg but I can't figure out how to cut it on cricut. Im making ornaments but I'm so visual that I'm not following what your steps were to make this. If there is a tutorial on how to cut multi colored layer....I would be so grateful.

    ReplyDelete