Candy Filled Valentine Doilies - Writing With Cricut


Cliff Notes:

This is one of those projects I made simply because I wanted to see how it works.  The doilies were cheap to practice on, and this did work quite well.


I used the Montepetrum font, and the triceratops came from a google search.

In design space, at the top of the screen, look for where it says "operation" and change it  to "draw", then choose "pen".

The hard part is placing the text properly on the mat.  I used the grids on the mat and a measuring tape.  I wanted the center of the writing to be in the center of the heart, so the center of the design needs to be at the 3 inch line on the mat.

After you click "make it", you can move your design around on the mat, placing it where you want it


The only other option I could think of is to create a heart the same size as the paper doily, group the text, and then sit and watch carefully, hitting pause on the machine as soon as the writing is complete, before it cuts.  But If the doily is not placed exactly, this still could be off, so I don't know that that method would be much better.  

If you are working from an ipad, there's an option for "snapmat" that does this for you.  It's not an option on computers, nor on android devices, as far as I can tell.

The new guide feature will not help with this.

I was hopeful that the new "Guide" option in Design space would help with this - but it does not.  You can change any item into a "guide", in the operations menu.  But it is only for design purposes, even if you attach your design to the guide, it does not transfer the guide to the mat when you make it, the text was still automatically placed at the top corner of the mat.


I used the Leisure Arts Marker - these were my favorites!  Although I love the Precise V5 for a finer point.  (Alternative  Markera for criciut - Comparison here)



To finish these, I used bakers twice to sew two paper doilies together.  Start at the top.  Leave a LONG tail of thread to tie a bow when done.  When About an inch or so remains unsewn, fill with candy, then finish sewing and tie in a bow.


=============================================================

Where to find free svgs for Valentines Day:
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2019/01/free-cut-files-for-valentines-day.html

More Cricut Tutorials & Step By Steps:
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2018/10/heathers-cricut-tutorials-step-by-steps.html

FREE fonts that work as writing fonts in cricut:
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/11/6-single-line-fonts-that-will-write.html

Find Me On Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fieldsofheathercrafts

1 comment:

  1. This is AMAZING!!!!!! I just might have to give these a try. My son's class has only 8 total students so making elaborate valentine's gifts would be lots of fun <3

    ReplyDelete