How To Transfer A Vinyl Design With "Transfer Tape"


Before & After - A Thrift Store Basket Redone With A Vinyl Design

Quick Tips:
  • My favorite transfer tape is Contact Paper From The Dollar Tree.  The same piece of transfer tape can be used over and over - many times.
  • Which Vinyl To Buy, & Where To Buy It 
  • Cricut Transfer tape is super strong, and works great for glitter vinyl, but is generally miserable to use for most regular projects. (and it's so much more expensive...I rarely recommend cricut materials.)
  • Peel at an angle

Cutting out a Design with your cricut machine essentially makes a sticker.  Once you make that sticker, you want to move it to your project - but you do not want to peel off each piece and place it as if you had bought a sheet of stickers..  that would not only be time consuming, but it would be much more difficult to line up properly.  To transfer your design, use transfer tape. 


I found this basket with lid, perfect for transporting pies or casseroles to a pot luck, at our local thrift store.  Since I'm more likely to use this in the summer than winter, I wanted to redo the lid.  I may eventually sew a new liner for the basket as well, but for now this one will do.

This is a very quick and simple project!  I painted the lid in Perfect Crust by Valspar - as close as I could get to the smokey beige spray paint that I love, but shouldn't use in the house.  :-)  (It's way too cold to spray paint outside!)


  I put the design together using free fonts, and black silhouettes from google images.  This design is almost identical to what I used on the curtains in my laundry room, so it only took a little tweaking...  I cut it from 651 vinyl, which I buy from Amazon.  

Place the contact paper over the design, and rub over the design.  I use the cricut tool, but the pampered chef pan scraper, or an old credit card, would also work for this.

Then I flip the design upside down, and starting at the corner, pull the backing, diagonally, off the vinyl, which should now be stuck fast to the contact paper.

Flip the contact paper over and place over the surface you are placing the design on.  Again, rub with the tool .  Then gently remove the contact paper - the "sticker" design should stick to the surface.  Pull the contact paper back slowly, working from a diagonal.

Place the contact paper back on it's original backing - you can reuse this again, and again.  One roll of $1 contact paper will last a very long time!  I store my pieces on a clipboard that hangs beside my work space



These were two earlier thrift store redos - 

==========================

Find More Cricut Project Tutorials Here:

https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2019/04/cricut-step-by-step-project-tutorials.html

==========================


 



No comments:

Post a Comment