Writing On The Inside Of A Cricut Card

 
Cutting & Writing All In One Step
How To Have Cricut Write On The Inside Of A Stencil Cut Card
Free Rose Edge Card SVG Download Below

When cutting a stencil cut card, you can simply flip the design and have it cut backwards.  Then place the cardstock upside down on the mat (just as you would if you were using HTV) and it can write on the inside of the card (the back of your card stock) before cutting your design.  

If that was confusing, just stick with me, I have a step by step below.

I'm starting with a blank Rose Edge Stencil Card
You can download the free svg for this here:


Next I add a score line.

Now, to be clear, I do not often use a score line - I find it quicker, and nicer, to add that manually.

But for design purposes, I always ADD the score line, then I can better judge where everything goes on the card.  I can decide later if I want to mess with adding the scoring pen into the slot, or if I want to just hide the score line and fold it myself manually.

 For now, add the score line.  [Find it in the shapes menu on the left]
Resize it to 7 inches.
Rotate it 90 degrees.

Select the score line and the white part of the card, and with both selected choose Align/Center
Then attach.

Now you can see how much space you have for text on the front of your card.

Next I'm going to add text, using a stencil font.
I'm using a stencil font because it will cut in a way that does NOT involve me needing to save little pieces and glue them fast.  The centers to all of the letters will be attached in a stencil font.

Most crafters do install all of their fonts - that is  the only way cricut can see them under system fonts in Design Space.

But I don't want 100s of craft fonts cluttering up my font list when I am working on word processing on my laptop, so I do NOT install all of my fonts. [I also don't like the way Design Space handles many fonts]  Instead, I use a font manager and FontLab Pad.  Both are free.  There's more about all of that at the bottom of this post.   Right now, here's the quick version:

On the left I choose my stencil font, from my folder of stencil fonts, in my font manager.  This is the program that shows me how the text will look, and helps me to choose which font I want to use.

In the middle screen, I open that font in fontlab pad.  This is the program that will save my text as an svg.

Then I type my text and save it as an svg, uploading that svg to Design Space.

Add the stencil text svg to your card base.  Select just the text, and weld..

Now Choose the Base & The Text & Slice.

Now we have a stencil card.  We could just click make it and be done - but I want cricut to write text on the inside to.

Select all, flip vertical.
It will appear as if the red part disappeared, but it is just hidden behind the bottom of the white part of the card.

The text on your card will now all be reversed, or "backwards".

The bottom part of the white piece will be the inside of the car when folded.  

If your score line has disappeared, you may want to bring it back to the front, and make sure it is centered again, so you can see where your text should go.

Then use a single line font for your text.  The pen in cricut will follow the path of the blade - so for most fonts, you will get an outline.  For a single line, choose either a single line font, or a font that will collapse on itself.  I used Always Here for this - it's free on Dafont.  At the bottom of this post is a link to hundreds  FREE fonts that will work for this - no need to pay for cricuts fonts.

Make sure you attach your text to the white base.

If you are using paper that has texture on one side, decide which side you want the texture on.

If you want the texture on the outside of the card, put it texture side down on the mat.
The side of the paper facing UP is the INSIDE of the card.

The completed card folded in half, with the insert color glued fast

The text,  written inside the card

============
READ MORE
=============
To see how I organize all of my fonts, quickly, using folders and a font manager, see the post here:

Where To Find Free Stencil Fonts

Where to find free single line fonts
that work with the pens, without bubbling, in cricut

===================
An Index Of Card Making Tips, Tricks, Tutorials, And Free SVGS
























1 comment: