On My Desk This Week - 7/30/21

On My Desk Last Week - 7/30/21
Paper Flowers, Reverse Canvases, & Some Organization & Clean Up
======================

Before & After - $5 Reverse Canvas 

On my desk Wednesday - A Before & After Project - Repurposing a cheap old printed canvas into a new reverse canvas.

The canvas is 20x36, and I cut the vinyl at 11 x 23.5 so that it all fit easily on one 24 inch long mat. The canvas cost me $3, the vinyl cost $1.66 - so total project cost was around $5.

I didn't pull the canvas quite tight enough - I may remove the staples & see if I can fix the wrinkles tomorrow. Or maybe I'll let it hang & see what happens - it may possibly stretch a bit hanging and work some of the wrinkles out itself.

We have a surplus store here called "Binz". The store is stocked on Saturdays, everything is $7 that day. Each day the price drops by a dollar, making everything $1 on Friday- then the reset the store & start over. (Thrift stores are another great source for cheap canvas) If you are near Williamsport PA, here's more about the Binz store - https://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/2021/06/billtown-binz-overstock-returns.html
I was there on a $3 day, on a week where they had bought out a home goods store. Pillows, lamp shades, and these two huge canvas with a state capitol building on them. I removed the canvas from the frame, stained the frame, applied vinyl to the back of the canvas & stapled it fast to the back of the frame. This process is referred to as a "reverse canvas". For a step by step on making a reverse canvas, find a tutorial here: https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2018/09/reverse-canvas-step-by-step.html

I used htv because it's faster & easier. Canvas is one of the few materials where you can use either 651 or htv. The 651 sticks better if you paint the canvas first. Caregy Htv ( my current favorite) is only 83 cents a square foot - so this was 1.66 in vinyl. For a price chart for all of my favorite vinyls (with shipping factored in!) and links for where to buy them, go here: https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/cricut-which-vinyl-do-i-need-where-do-i.html

The svg is from the Design Bundles Plus store. It's one credit (you earn credits either by having a plus membership, or by making purchases)  http://bit.ly/3ZYYnFJ

The paper flowers below the sign are from the CF Christmas in July Sale - the file is currently 50 cents. Find the link and see more about how I made them here: https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2021/07/painting-paper-flowers-cricut-project.html

=======================
The second reverse canvas - for this one I attached the vinyl to the frame before I applied the vinyl, and I did a much better job stretching it.

The SVG is from a farmhouse bundle found here:

The flowers in the crock are from a variety of free svgs, I tried out a few files to compare them.  You can find the post detailing where to find them, and what I liked and didn't like, here:

=========================

On my desk this Thursday morning.. a rough draft of the flower owl that is in the CF Christmas in July sale right now. The file is 90% off, making it $1.50, but it does not include any measurements, amounts, nor sizes. I've figured out what all is needed, and what sizes to cut everything, and have it all step by step here:

=================
On my desk Thursday...  a mess.  :-) 
Today was a long overdue clean up day. All of the paper & vinyl scraps got sorted & put away, I and my entire craft area got a good dusting and straightening.

 
For cardstock, I store mine in a file drawer, with file folders (the kinds with the closed sides) as dividers. Scraps of cardstock go in the dividers.

 
For vinyl, I have two 3 ring binder scrapbooks - one for HTV, one for "regular" vinyl.

All cleaned up and MUCH better!



================

I was asked (by my sons fiancé) to recreate the wooden sign she found on Pinterest - these style of fonts, on a chalkboard easel style sign. I've agonized over the skinny font, none felt quite right, but I think this one is ok. It's Naturia Clean. I am sure I downloaded it when it was temporarily free - it's no longer free unfortunately. The cursive font I thought I'd just try my favorite cursive font - Goodies - and I do believe it's nearly exactly what was used on the original! Woohoo!

The second sign is in the Goodies font as well - it's the guest book for their wedding.  

==============
This week I am working on Red Friday shirts, a tour of my craft room, acrylic keychains, and I'll post updates on the htv wash test, the garden flag, and those items I tried to "weather proof" with acrylic spray and laminate paper.

Don't forget, if there is anything you need help with, or any free svgs you are looking for, feel free to post in the facebook group for this page - I'd love to see what you are working on too!
===============

No comments:

Post a Comment