Making The Canada Crafts Studio Flower Owl

 
Making the Canada Crafts Studio Flower Owl.
The Sizes &  number of each svg I used

It does say right in the description that this svg does not come with instructions...  but it still surprised me.  Because although all the pieces are here, they are not the right sizes, and there is nothing telling you how many of each you need.  I purchased the file when it was on sale for $1 - but it is normally a pretty pricey svg - costing as much as $15 - so no instructions is a bit disappointing.  

So since I had  to figure out how to make this for myself, I'll share the sizes and amounts I used, and hopefully save some of you some work and frustration.


Paper Used:
1 12x12 piece of cardstock for the  owl body
5 Sheets of 8.5 x11 White Cardstock or 4 of 12x12
4 sheets of 8.5 x 11 brown card stock or 3 of 12x12 (4 to include the body)

These are the svgs that come in your download.
You will want a piece of 12x12 paper for the owl body, but the rest can be cut from 8.5x11 paper.

The owl is quick and easy - upload that svg, save your project.  Cut the owl body.  Then hide the owl body, and upload the  next svg.  

Template 9 - The Eyes
The Eyes are named "Template 9"
You'll want to resize the template, change the color of the smallest piece, and duplicate.
In the top photo, showing my "draft owl" - the project I made to figure out sizing - there are two different sized eyes.  I like the 4 inch version best, the larger one is 4.5.

FIRST - in the layers panel on the right find the smallest flower - change it's color.  I used brown for the outside of the owl, and white for the center, smallest, piece.

Then I ungrouped and centered all of the pieces, so that I could resize them all proportionately:
Select All
Ungroup. 
Select All
Align/center
Select All
Group

Then in the size box in the top tool bar, under height type 4.

Select All, Duplicate.
Select all, Group
Save Project.
In the layers panel on the right, select your new group and click the eye beside it.  This saves your work in the project, but gives you a blank canvas to work on the next part of the design.  Once all of the pieces are resized and duplicated, you unhide everything, and then send it all to cut. 

OR - you can cut the eyes now, then hide them once cut.  This can be easier - to only have the pieces you need for that section.  

The Lily
To the right of the owl, in the photo above, is the lily.
Upload, ungroup, choose Align/Center, then select all and choose group.
Resize to 5 inches tall.
Duplicate, size the duplicate to 3 inches tall.
Then duplicate the 5 inch one so that it cuts twice, and duplicate the 3 inch one so that it cuts 4 times.

Again, once I had the lilies figured out, I chose select  all, group, saved my project,  and then hid them, again giving me a blank canvas to work with for the next part.

Template 7 - Flowers
Cut Two
When I uploaded template 7 to design space, it was grouped, and the size was 11.47 x 10.325.  This size worked great.  All I had to do was change the center color to white, and then duplicate.

T assemble these, apply some glue to one side of the slit, then overlap the bottom of the petal.  Once they are all done, starting with the largest petals, glue one to each corner of the octagon.


The Misc Flower
A combination of Templates 7 & 9
In my draft version, I have this flower reversed - the outside is brown and the inside is white.
I like it better reversed - with the outside white and the inside brown - but I was more concerned with size than color while working this out.

Leaves
I left the leaves the size they were when uploaded.
Changed the colors
Then duplicated the smaller branch 4 times - 5 total.
Duplicate the larger ones so that you have 4 total
================

This is what all of the files looked like, once finished, on my canvas.



No comments:

Post a Comment