Painting Paper Flowers - A Cricut Project

 
A little paint on paper flower petals, before they are assembled, gives depth and  dimension to plain cardstock flowers

This svg was part of the Creative Fabrica Christmas in July Sale - making it just 50 cents.

It comes with the box to make it a centerpiece, but I actually used just the top in a candle ring - mixing silk flowers with paper - to fill a crock.  I made the box just because I had the entire file loaded - I may use it later.
The video on how to assemble it  is here:

I will most likely never, ever, watch a 40 minute YouTube video - so I didn't exactly follow the instructions for making this.(I  lack the attention span for YouTube). However, after looking at a close up of her flowers, I may go back and watch her curling technique - I love this look!


I didn't curl mine nearly as well, as you can see here.  It's ok - I like the way my turned out, and I curled some of mine in, and some out, so all of my flowers did not end up the same (I did that on purpose) - but that extra curl around the edges on hers...  I may need to make some more and actually follow her instructions!


I know I didn't make the box right - because I had pieces left over.  But I'm ok with that - I ended up with a box with a removable top.  So I could store small, light things, like usb drives, inside of this, if I use it in my office, for instance... I also couldn't help but think this would make an over the top tissue box if I had left the bottom off, and left the middle flower out, making a hole there for the tissues to come through...

But I digress.  The point of this post was how much of a difference painting paper flowers makes.

This process always surprises me. Once the petals are cut, you add some paint. Sometimes neatly around the edges, sometimes randomly. I'm very random, and It looks horrible - very messy. And then somehow, you put the flower together, and all of that messy paint looks good. The paint colors are barn red, camel, and black - nothing fancy, but together, once the flowers are formed, they look almost metallic.
This is Paper Studio cardstock (from Hobby Lobby) and it is hollow core - giving the flowers a white edge. Sometimes I like that, sometimes not so much. This time I like it. You can paint over the edges once the flower is put together too.

Same thing for the smaller flowers (which use the same svg, you just use fewer layers), which I made in mustard yellow.  Here I used white, brown, and gold paint. 


It makes a really big difference in how the finished flowers look.  :-)





All of this is done on  top of freezer paper.  I keep a roll of this on my wooden desk at all times, it's pulled down and tacked under the edge.  When it becomes too messy or dirty (usually from gluing things...) I pull a clean area down, cut the bottom off, and re-tack it to the underside of my desk. 
I use the Reynolds Paper, because it's what I am familiar with - there may be cheaper brands.  It's the plastic coating that makes it work so well for me - I paint and glue on it, stick various vinyl projects to it and can peel them back off to use them, etc.  


===============

Find a list of FREE svgs for making paper flowers here:





No comments:

Post a Comment