My Flowerfest Bouquet

 
Bouquet made during the Abbi Kirstin Flowerfest, July 2023

It's rare that I do too much with these never-ending summits.  I simply don't have time, and there are so very many of them.  But for this flowerfest summit by Abbi, I marked the day off on my calendar and told my family I was unavailable that day.  (I did still have farm chores, and my grandson here part of the day...  but that's about as close to a day off as I can get right now)

Here's a look at what I made,  some tips for things I do a bit differently than she instructs, and some free options for the flowers, since this class was free for 24 hours only.
==============
Flowerfest quick tip - 
use your weeding tool to punch a hole for the floral wire


In the classes, Abbi tells us to use our scissors to punch a hole in the leaves for our floral wire.  I'm sure that works - but my attempts were clumsy.  For me, my weeding took works perfectly - it punches one perfectly sized hole, the floral wire then fits right through. 

===============
The Mini Daisies
================
This is my favorite daisy file so far - but it's really just 3 layers of outside petals, and a rolled paper flower in the middle.  I made two sizes, one I made the size the file uploaded, and one I sized down a bit.  Below are the sizes AK used.

Mini Daisy
Uploaded - 7.439 x 8.46
Resized - 6.439 x 7.322

Leaves:
Uploaded - 7 x 8.755
Resized - 5.857 x 7.325

Mini Daisies [Sizes and Amounts from The AK Class]

Petal count
3 base pieces
3 center pieces

Petals
Grouped template page size - 7.44” x 8.46”
● Base pieces - 3.05” x 3.05”
● Center pieces - 7.15” x 0.47”

Leaves
Grouped template page size - 7.0” x 8.76”
● Large leaf - 2.04” x 3.32”
● Small leaf - 2.04” x 2.95”
● Base leaf - 3.31” x 3.3”

FREE ALTERNATIVES:
Make just the flower from this free bookmark svg - Enlarge it a bit.  It's nearly identical to the one from this workshop.
This free daisy svg from papercraft magazine would work for the outside petals (they use a yarn pom pom for their centers) Then use a rolled paper flower for the center

===========

Wild Roses
=============
Note - I don't see a way to purchase just this file

I LOVE this wild rose. She also shows a second rose, from the same template, which I think I'll like more if I add two layers, or size it down a bit...  All in all, and excellent svg.  I cut the yellow parts using my air 2 - on medium cardstock, and they cut beautifully.

I use my vinyl weeding tool to gently pry up small delicate pieces, like the flower centers, from the middle.

If you do not have a brayer - don't worry.  They became really popular about 2 years ago - I think Jennifer Maker was promoting them and everyone followed her lead.  I asked several crafters what made a brayer better than the scraper tool that most of us already own, and no one had an answer for me - so I've just stuck to using my scraper tool  - running it over my papers to adhere it to the mat.  There may be some magic in the brayer that I'm not aware of, but the scraper tool has worked fine for me.


DIMENSIONS:

Wild Rose
Petal count
2 base petals
2 intricate stamen center pieces
3 smallest center pieces

Petals
Grouped base petal template page -6.85” x 9.95”
● Base petals - 3.27” x 3.22”

Centers
Grouped centers template page - 5.3” x 6.43”
● Intricate stamen center pieces - 1.33” x 1.36”
● Smallest center pieces - 0.69” x 0.68”

Leaves
Grouped template page size - 6.67” x 6.59”
● Large base - 3.57” x 4.89”
● Small base - 4.89” x 2.19”
● Side leaf - 2.43” x 3.48”
Distress Oxide - Picked Raspberry, Wild Honey

Classic Rose
Petal count
● 6 base petals

Petals
Grouped base petal template page -6.85” x 9.95”
● Base petals - 3.27” x 3.22”

Leaves
Grouped template page size - 6.67” x 6.59”
● Large base - 3.57” x 4.89”
● Small base - 4.89” x 2.19”
● Side leaf - 2.43” x 3.48”


ALTERNATIVES:
I have a list of free paper rose svgs, but I have not yet found a free version of that wild, or primrose version, that I like so much here.  
Free Rose SVGS
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2023/06/free-svgs-for-making-paper-roses.html

Although NOT a primrose svg, for a bouquet like this, the free anemone svg from SRP may be similar enough - https://sweetredpoppy.com/diy-paper-anemone-flower-template/
=====================
Flowerfest Quick Tip - 
 Use the Guide Option in Design Space to add notes on how to make the flowers, so you remember later.
================


When uploading your projects from the , don't forget to use the guide option in Design Space.

The best way to use this is to add your text notes as text - then resize and change your font so it's readable (I used montepetrum here - but any font works) then at the top of the screen change  the operation from cut, to "guide".  Guide layers do not get sent to the mat - they are just notes in Design Space.  But now I'll remember how many of each item I need to cut to make the two styles of roses from todays class. 
In the folder where to stored the svg, I uploaded two images - one of each style of rose.  One is named "AK wild rose", the other is named "AK wild rose made classic" - so I know they both used the wild rose svg.

===========================
Flowerfest Quick Tip - 
 I  use my vinyl weeding tool to gently lift small pieces off  the mat.


=================
Peonies
==================

Definitely my least favorite so far.  I watched the video.  I used the tools.  But I just didn't get this right.  Maybe with more practice?  But these are a lot of work, so my results are particularly disappointing.

Mine is the light pink in the bouquet on the left, the other bouquet is what they are supposed to look like...  I feel like mine looked closer to "right" before I glued them together.

Petal count
8 petals all the same size
Petals
Grouped template page size - 6.45” x 9.69”
● Petals - 3.14” x 3.13”
Leaves
Grouped leaf set template page size - 6.5” x 10.58”
● Large base - 5.18” x 4.63”
● Small base - 5.18” x 3.64”
● Single leaf - 3.17” x 2.93”

Alternatives:
Try taking a free paper rose file and curl the petals in, instead of out. You may be able to get a similar look that way.   What you are looking for is any thick base flower - something with all of the petals attached in one layer.
The free peony svg from Lia Griffith may work well - just roll it in so it does not look as if it has opened.  https://www.paperpapers.com/news/metallic-peony-video/

Or in  it's place, try a free Chrysanthemum svg


This one is free from Domestic Heights - https://domesticheights.com/paper-chrysanthemum-flower-template/ (there's both a FREE resource page, and a PAID resource page.  This one is in the FREE section, but you will still need a free password .  https://domesticheights.com/resource-library/4/

=============
GERANIUMS
============
 
The Geranium is at the very top, in white, in the arrangement.  I used childrens pastels for the yellow centers, instead of the expensive inks.  :-)  You could really even get away with a crayon for this, in this flower...just smudge it a bit with a foam paint brush to soften the look.

Petal count
● 2 base pieces for each blossom
● 1 center piece for each blossom
Petals/ Centers
Grouped template page size - 4.88” x 8.23”
● Base pieces for each blossom - 1.73” x 1.7”
● Center piece for each blossom - 0.80” x 0.76”
Leaves
Grouped template page size - 6.49” x 8.56”
● Large leaf - 1.52” x 1.94”
● Small leaf - 1.49” x 1.73”
● Base leaf - 2.35” x 2.25”
Alternatives:

This is a small 5 petal flower, with a center.

The blue flower in this free bundle would work for the petals - then   you would just find a spiky center to add, and some leaves... https://creative-vector-studio.com/product/free-simple-paper-flowers-svg/

NOT FREE - Jamie Lane has a geranium svg in the Silhouette Design Store - 

===================

No comments:

Post a Comment