The Combine Menu In Design Space


The "Combine" Menu was added to Design Space in October of 2022

At that time, the  weld button changed to a "Combine" button, with a new variety of options.

Cricut has a slideshow explaining these terms a bit more in depth, and it's worth watching - it's very quick to scroll through, and shows what these terms actually mean.


Weld  still exists, and it still can be undone by the undo button on the top left of the screen, until you close your project.   Once you close your project, you can no longer undo a weld.  Unite does the same thing as Weld, but can be undone at any time.

When you use "Unite", your layers panel will still show each layer of your design.   To undo a Unite, select your image, and choose the Combine menu, you will see "Undo Unite" as an option.  When you undo a Unite, you will not recover your original colors.  All of the items will still be one color, but you can select each item to change the colors once the unite is undone.

You CAN "Unite" an image, and then slice it from another image.  It works the same as weld.
Here's a quick comparison 

Weld, Unite, and Merge Layers (merge layers can only be used on items you have united) all give me the exact same results.    Below is what it looked like when I sent these to cut:

Note that only the black pieces appear on this mat for the Grouped image - the blue and red and white pieces are all sent to different mats, by color, because that image was only grouped, not welded, united, nor merged.  It still has three different colors.

This is not even mentioning Attached, which still exists, and still works the same as attached always has.  Attach will keep all of your items exactly where you placed them when cutting, so it will all be one color - but attach will not eliminate cut lines on overlapping images.  Weld, Unite, and Merge Layers will all eliminate cut lines on overlapping images.

============================
Subtract Is Slice.
Except, it automatically deletes all of the pieces that are normally left behind when we slice.
Why does Subtract not just replace slice completely?  I don't know.  I can't think of any possible reason to use Slice now.  But I could be missing something.  :-)

========================
I think of Intersect and Exclude as "Fancy Slice".
Here's an example of how they work:

Although I'm certain intersect has more uses than this, for me, Intersect is a sort of "Pattern Fill" slice.  It will combine the overlapping parts of two images.  So when I selected the truck in the above image, and the leopard print pattern, then chose Intersect, this is what happened:

=======================
Exclude is sort of the reverse of Intersect.  Sort of.  When I took the same leopard print, and the same truck, and this time chose Exclude, the photo below was the result.  This time instead of the shape of the truck, I have the shape of the rectangle, with the truck image sliced into the leopard print.


=====================
I just realized I ended this post very abruptly - but at this point, there's not much else to say.  That's how they worked for me.  Nearly a year later, I really don't use any of these - but I do not design much in Design Space personally, I mostly upload already completed designs.

===================

No comments:

Post a Comment