OMDT - A Grumpy Old Bear & His Honey Garden Flag

 
On my desk this morning.. my first garden flag. :-)

 This svg is part of a large bundle that I love. I purchased it in April when it was on sale for $1, but it's only $2.50 right now. Lots of great designs!



 The flags I purchased were a 4 pack of burlap, two different shapes, for $11 . They have a plastic backing, but that did not melt at all when I pressed them. 

I used Caregy HTV - it's the most inexpensive, and it applies beautifully. It's my current favorite brand. Find a chart of my favorites, with price comparisons, here: https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/cricut-which-vinyl-do-i-need-where-do-i.html 


 I used a regular old iron to press, as I always do. Short presses to start because I was being cautious about the plastic backing, but I ended up pressing pretty much as "normal". Iron was set between cotton and wool, as always. I start with 10 seconds, check, then press again. No herculean strength required - just hold the iron down. More about using a regular iron with htv - https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2018/11/using-plain-old-regular-iron-for-htv.html

 Normally I attach all of one color in my designs - so all of the black would have been on one piece. It often wastes a bit of vinyl on designs like this, but I have tons of scraps already, and would rather waste a little vinyl than remember how to line everything up. However, this time i forgot to attach. The text was all attached, but the overall design was not. I had to pull the design back up on my laptop to remember where the pieces went. :-) 

Then it's important to only press one layer at a time - don't let any of the clear backing overlap under any of your vinyl. I laid the entire design out on the flag, then removed most of it, just leaving a layer of items that did not touch. The plastic backing on the htv does not stick as well to the burlap as it does other fabrics, so I had to be careful that the pieces did not move. Still, this wasn't a difficult project at all - it went together quite easily. 


Don't forget to cover any applied vinyl so that your iron never touches the vinyl! Parchment paper, or teflon sheets, work well. (in the attached photos, that brown piece of paper over the design is a teflon sheet. They are really inexpensive on Amazon, but mine came free in a sampler pack of Caregy htv) Now we see how the flag holds up outside.. I have read a lot of complaints about burlap flags curling, so we'll see. :-)

=================


1 comment:

  1. I love it. It is so well done and so adorable.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete