Adding Vinyl Designs To Lampshades - A Cricut Project

The design is inside the lampshade, so
when the light is off, the design is invisible. 
When the light is turned on, the design appears.

Quick Reference:
  • Lamp & Shade from Dollar General - They are cheap and easy to switch out. 
  • LED bulbs do not get hot like regular bulbs, and are what I always use in these.  
  • I use Frisco Matte Black vinyl - its my favorite to work with, and it's cheap! Free shipping on Amazon too.
  • Reverse the design, vinyl is applied on the inside of the shade
  • The Christmas Version
  • The Halloween Version


Quick Tips:
  • 631 or 651 vinyl
  • Mirror your image
  • Apply to the inside of the lamp shade
  • Design Appears when the light is turned on
  • I like the cheap lamps and shades from Dollar General - buy them on Saturday with the $5 off $25 coupon that is almost always in the app for Saturday.  
  • Design is sized 6 wide by 5 tall.
For the lamp shade from Dollar General, I sized this to 
6 inche wide by 5 inches tall
That size works well for these shades.
I was sure I got this svg from LoveSVG - but when I search for it now, I can only find it on Etsy.   It is pretty simple to recreate using free svgs  There is a similar  tractor svg  on LoveSVG, just add the laurel and hearts.  The text - Faith, Family, Farm  - I had added myself - the font is Autumn in November. (don't forget to weld - always weld cursive text)  For The Truckenmillers, The font isBiosha Caps (one of the free this week premium fonts that is no longer free to download, but continues to be one of my favorites to use)

When you have your design all put together, remember to select all and attach, so that everything stays in place when you choose make it.

Make sure you mirror your design.  You will be applying it to the inside of the lampshade, and viewing the "back" of the design through the outside of the shade.
I too often forget to mirror, so when I am done with the design, I choose flip horizontal before choosing make it.  

Remove your transfer paper slowly.  I like the Dollar Tree Contact Paper for transfer tape.
Place your design thoughtfully - you can put the seam of the shade in the back, or if you want to do two designs on the same shade, put the seam to the side.

It's nice and bright in this room right now, so you can see the shadow through the shade.  But in a darker area, or with less light, it's invisible, and will only show up when the light is turned on.


 
We have an old 1980's touch lamp in our guest room.  When our grandson was coming to visit, I knew he would enjoy just being able to turn the light on by touching it..  but how much better if a cow appeared when he touched it?  :-)

I then put the same design on a Dollar Tree nightlight, for his room at home.
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2019/01/personalizing-dollar-tree-night-lights.html



This cow design is one of many I downloaded when I first got my cricut,  and I have no idea where I got it.  I've been searching for it periodically, and recently I found this version on Chameleon Cuttables that is very similar - just with added flowers - 
https://www.chameleoncuttables.com/products/hay-girl-cow-farmhouse

===========================

Find me On Facebook At Crafting With Fields Of Heather
Where I post LOTS Of Free svgs each day, and more tips and tutorials

=================================
Find more step by step tutorials here:


3 comments: