Decorating Dollar Tree Cake Carriers With Cricut

The Cake Carrier Inspiration, from Girl With a Glue Gun

I thought this would be a really quick and easy project this morning..  I thought i could knock something off my list right away, in a few minutes time. I found cake carriers at Dollar Tree on Monday - I was all set!

HA!  The free svg does not include the gorgeous flowers.  Apparently she hand cut them from a patterned vinyl?  Uhm, no.  Although I appreciate her idea and her beautiful execution - I own a cricut because I suck at cutting things with scissors.

So my next idea was to use  print then cut  for something similar - and then I looked at my printable vinyl, and it says it cannot be washed.  Well that's probably not a very good choice for this project then.    (It's probably also why that vinyl has sat in the drawer for over a year.. I should look for ideas to use it on something!)

Now I'm on to browsing  LoveSVG to find some flowers.  (Lots of great options - free svgs.) and that prompts me to go look at what colors of vinyl I own.  

In 651, I have an entire, deep, dresser drawer FULL of colors.  And not a single pastel in there.  A deep purple is the closest I have. Could I do this in other colors?  Yes!  But that teal blue... (which I happen to have in htv, just not in 651, by the way)

So now I'm on Amazon trying to decide which other colors I should have on hand.. and what else I should order while I am at it..  and while it's MUCH cheaper to just buy it on Amazon, I'm wondering if I really want this much pastel vinyl (I'm looking at 6 rolls, each 5 ft long, with free shipping  for $25 --https://amzn.to/2Tm0MXI - these deals are why I already have a deep drawer full of 651) and wondering if  maybe I should just run to Michael's and buy a few sheets, if they even have the pastel colors in stock, our Michael's doesn't have a large selection...  

An hour later I have not a single project complete, and I'm contemplating driving 20 minutes to go shopping.  It's been that kind of week.  :-)

The Cake Carrier is from Girl With a Glue Gun, 
and the svg can be found (minus the flowers) here - https://www.agirlandagluegun.com/2018/08/47295.html

Love svg has some pretty flower svgs here:

Orcal Vinyl is $2,09 a sheet at Michaels now.  Remember when it used to be $1?  If I buy 6 sheets, - 6 feet -  that would be about half the cost of 30 feet purchased on Amazon.  30 feet on Amazon costs roughly $25 (free shipping) working out to .83 cents a sheet.  Less than half price.  I think I'm going to just order way more vinyl than I need, once again...  

And that prompted me to go update my post on which vinyl to buy and where to buy it, because there are new price options...  https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/cricut-which-vinyl-do-i-need-where-do-i.html

So ordering on Amazon it is.  Hopefully I'll get to this project next week, I'll update with results when/if I do.  :-)

=====================
Update - it's amazing I ever got this project done.
After cutting it out, I sat it on my footstool and went to the kitchen for coffee.
We have a puppy.
It's a good thing he's cute.

===============
I finished it!!
===============
The completed dollar tree cake carrier
with a step by step for the design here:


================================

2 comments: