C25k Training With Zombie 5k


Disclaimer - I'm not a Zombie Junkie. Zombies really have no interest at all for me.  I'm not a Walking Dead Fan.  What I am is easily bored, and easily entertained.  This app makes running less boring.  It's a couch to 5k program, combining walking and running, working up to running a full 5k.  It's done to a story, but the story is intermittent - it will break into your playlist (or audiobook) to set the scene and tell you to run, or walk, or do some lunges... and then it will return to your playlist.  It's something different.

Then, once you complete this, there is a second app - Zombies Run. It's broken into seasons, with story lines you run to at your own pace.  Just like the 5k app, it breaks into your playlist at times to move the story along, but there are no cues for walking or running - merely some for speeding up if zombies are near.

Full confession - when I heard there was a Zombies Season 2 - I was excited for a new couch to 5k story line.   But most people do not redo a couch to 5k every spring and fall of every year.  Most people work up to running a 5k and then just run.  Huh.  Interesting concept.  LOL!    So  "season 2" (I missed the season 1 announcement, and now they are at season 6 I believe...) is simply a story line, not a run/walk coaching program.  

Week Six
Week Seven
Week Eight

2019  Update - I have finished this program, at least twice.  What I have not done is finish blogging about it.  Since I appear to be addicted to couch to 5k programs, perhaps I'll do this one again this year...  It will be interesting to compare how I do at this age, versus how I did at a younger age...

About Me:
I'm a 41 (in 2014) year old farm wife in central PA.  I'm really overweight.  REALLY overweight.  
I have exercise induced asthma, and I too often forget to use my inhaler before I start out, and I never carry it with me.  I need to carry it with me.   (HA!  It wasn't asthma.  It was critically low iron. And it got so bad that I could barely walk up a hill, let alone run, for a couple of years.  All fixed now.)
I've done the C25k plan numerous times.  I've never been able to really run a 5k at the end of the program, ever.  
  I've jogged two 5ks.  I finished before they stopped timing, but just barely ahead of the walkers, both times.
Each Spring it's like completely starting over.  Last year I could jog the entire Canal path at just under 13 minutes a mile.  This year I can barely jog 10 feet when I started this program.
I use an android phone - a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (I've stuck with the brand - using a Note 9 now!) - to run this app.
I also run the Charity Miles app at the same time.  Check it out - it contributes 25 cents a mile for every mile you run or walk, and 10 cents a mile for every mile you bike, to your choice of charities.  I donate to Wounded Warriors.

I completely missed this - I found it at the end of week 2.  There is a background story, you should listen to it while going for a walk/jog before beginning this program.  



==============================



No comments:

Post a Comment