Cracked & Faded Vinyl - And My Thoughts On What Happened

Cracked & Faded Vinyl - And My Thoughts On Why This Happened
A couple of photos from laundry day here yesterday [July 2023], showing how vinyl eventually wears out...  


BUT - these shirts have been worn and washed countless times, for 3 or more years  [I think the one is closer to 5 years old - and my husband tends to wear the same shirts over and over. It's no stretch to say he's worn that Red Friday shirt more than 200 times. ].  

So...  I'm not mad about this.   This has never, not once, happened to any shirt nor tote bag I've made for myself.  I don't think I own anything that I've worn 200 times.  Maybe my favorite earrings..   


  And my tote bags only get washed every once in awhile.  Normally my husbands "work shirts" [t-shirts that are designated for farm work] get holes and stains long before the vinyl does this.  We actually have older shirts that have never done this, and I can't be certain why it happens with some and not others.  
My best guess is that these are shirts my husband frequently wears under other shirts & sweatshirts.  A lot more friction on top of the vinyl?  And it's also why they didn't get torn or stained long before this happened.  Just a guess.  


This is Siser vinyl - no longer my favorite only because it's more expensive than other brands I've found since.  But it's a good, reputable htv.  Here's a list of my favorite brands, with price comparisons - 

Most htv is only rated for something like 25-50 washes -  if I remember correctly.  I know these shirts are long, long, LONG past those numbers.  I'm really certain they've been washed more than 200 times by now.  The shirts aren't the same color as when I bought them - they are faded and very worn.  So it's only fair the vinyl has worn out too.  

It's not from the sun - because that clothespin bag, which is so faded you can barely tell what it original color was - is frequently left on the clothesline for days at a time.  This is also very old - one of my very early projects, so probably made around 2018.  While I've never washed it, it has been left out in the rain for days on end, then in the sun to dry again...  The htv looks practically brand new, even if the bag itself has seen much better days.  

===========================




No comments:

Post a Comment