Removing A Logo & Decorating With Three Pines SVGS

 
A Promotional mug with the promotional logo removed and a bunch of Inspector Gamache/ Three Pines Designs
Tips for transferring tiny text, free svgs, etc.
Usually, I learn towards simpler designs.  And, I know this one may not hold up nearly as well as others.  All of these tiny letters..  they are less likely to "hold up" as well as bigger, bolder, text.

But this was quick and easy, and I love it very much.  I'll enjoy it while it lasts!  :-)

To start with, this was a promotional cup my husband received as a Christmas gift from an architectural firm.  It had their logo on it.  My daughter joined us for the Easter Sunrise service we attended on a mountain an hour from our farm, and she took this mug for her coffee.  She commented on how nice the cup was - it has a nice lid, nice handle, fits in a cup holder, and kept her coffee hot for a long time.

So I removed the logo.  I used VLR.  VLR is typically used to remove htv.  But I have this bottle, that I've had now for years, and I didn't have any fingernail polish remover [acetone] handy....  so I tried the VLR.  It took the logo right off, without affecting the paint on the cup.  

For tiny text like this, I reverse weed.


Reverse weeding is when you put the transfer tape on the design BEFORE you weed it.

When I pull the excess vinyl off, I put it on the freezer paper that is on my desk.  Because it has a light wax coating, it doesn't stick permanently to the paper - allowing me to remove the little letters that lifted off but shoudl be on the design.  Like the E in offering here.  

For the two color parts of the design, I put both parts on the transfer tape before applying it to the cup.

==============
WHAT THE DESIGNS MEAN
===============

The sayings and images on this cup are all from the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache Books.  The first, and second, times I read books from this series, I was just not impressed.  But friends whose opinion I valued kept raving over them..  so I started with book one and tried again.

DEFINITELY read this series from the beginning. It's not that there any spoilers later - it's that you need to get to know the characters in the order they are presented.  If you read about their flaws and mistakes later without getting to know them first, it just doesn't work.  It's really a brilliantly done series, often more about the characters and the town than about the mystery they are solving.

How The Light Gets In is a song by Leonard Cohen.  Louise Penny first uses it in book 2 of the Gamache series:

“Gamache leaned in and put on his reading glasses.
Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget the perfect offering,
There’s a crack in everything,
That’s how the light gets in.
He read it out loud. Beautiful.” (A Fatal Grace, Page 174)

When Penny originally reached out to Cohen to obtain the rights — and ask what it would cost — to license the stanza for inclusion in A Fatal Grace, she was astounded by his response:

He would give it to me for free. Free. I’d paid handsomely for other poetry excerpts, and rightly so. I’d expected to pay for this, especially given that at the time, six years ago, Mr. Cohen had just had most of his savings stolen by a trusted member of his team. Instead of asking for thousands — he asked for nothing. I cannot begin to imagine the light that floods into that man.

The theme repeats throughout the series, with book 9 being named How The Light Gets In.


It's also in book two, Fatal Grace, where we first learn what it means to be FINE.  
"I read your book," said Gamache to Ruth as the two of them sat in front of the cheery fire while Peter puttered in the kitchen and Clara browsed her bookshelves for something to read.

Ruth looked as though she'd rather be sitting in scalding oil than next to a compliment. She decided to ignore him and took a long gulp of her Scotch.

"But my wife has a question."

"You have a wife? Someone agreed to marry you?"

"She did and she was only a little drunk. She wants to know what FINE means in your title."

"I'm not surprised your wife has no idea what fine means. Probably doesn't know what happy or sane means either."

"She's a librarian and she was saying in her experience when people use capital letters it's because the letters stand for something. Your title is I'm FINE with the FINE in capitals."

"She has brains, your wife. She's the first to notice that, or at least to ask. FINE stands for Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Egotistical. I'm FINE."

"You certainly are," agreed Gamache.
- Fatal Grace

“No, I’m fine. And yes, I mean that sort of FINE,” said Reine-Marie, making reference to the title of one of Ruth’s poetry books, where FINE stood for Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic, and Egotistical.”
― Louise Penny, The Nature of the Beast

One of the more eccentric characters in Three Pines is Ruth Gardo, a famous, crochety,  old poet with a pet goose named Rosa.  It's in Book 3, The Cruelest Month, that Ruth adopts, against her character, two goose eggs. There's a lesson here on meaning well but causing harm, and that's what I see when I see the goose - although others will associate it with a swear word the goose appears to utter frequently.  :-) 


“There are four things that lead to wisdom. You ready for them?'
She nodded, wondering when the police work would begin.
"They are four sentences we learn to say, and mean." Gamache held up his hand as a fist and raised a finger with each point. "I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. I was wrong'.”
― Louise Penny, Still Life


===========
The SVGS
===========
I used this duck clipart, converted into an svg.  It is tedious to work with - I'd recommend finding a better duck.  I made it work - but I know there must be better options.





DOWNLOAD  ALL




=====================





No comments:

Post a Comment