The Series I Read

 
Tracking the Detective Series, and Cozy Mysteries, on My To Read List

This list is, primarily for me.  It's my attempt to look through all of the various series of books that I read, and see "where I left off".  There are some series I read 20 years ago that still have new books being released - but I missed the new releases.  There are others where I read a few, then didn't have access to the next in the series, so I "put it aside", and never got back to them.  

In other words, it's a bit of an attempt to organize my To Read list.  And it will take me awhile.  As I work on this list, I have been making printable "read in order" lists, then checking which books I haven't read, checking the availability of those books... 


My Favorites:
  • Evanovich, Janet - Stephanie Plum Series.  Light, super funny.  
  • French, Nicci  - Frieda Klein Series - 8 books in total.  Thrillers -  unput-down-able, series, all 8 books are their own books, but they also all connect, and the 8th book brings the full story together.  
  • Penny, Louise - Gamache Series [READ THESE IN ORDER! They are so much better that way
  • Rosenfelt, Davis - Andy Carpenter Series - This is our go to "road trip" series.  Light, funny, but not silly.  
  • Stout, Rex - Nero Wolf Series.  1930s/40s detective series - LOVE these so much.  There's an old A&E tv series based on the books that was quite good too.  

Cozy Mystery Series:
  • Andrews, Donna  - Meg Lanslow Series Lots of seasonal options, for those of us who like to read seasonally.  Printable List
  • Beaton, M.C. - Hamish Macbeth Series
  • Beaton, M.C. - Agatha Raisin Series
  • Black, Juneau - Shady Hollow Series - I can't describe this series, the premise is simply to ridiculous.  And yet, I love these books.  Very much. All of the characters are animals - actual animals.  Frog, moose...  The author addresses this head on.  And somehow, it works.
  • Bowen, Rhys - Her Royal Spyness Series
  • Collins, Kate - Flower Shop Mysteries
  • Costello, Matthew - Cherringham Series- 
  • Costello, Matthew [And Richards] Mydworth Series -
  • DeLeon, Jana - Miss Fortune Series - Light and very funny! Printable List
  • Goss, Theodora - Athena Club [YA]  "Mary Jekyll and the rest of the daughters of mad scientists from literature embark on madcap adventures across Europe"
  • Greenwood, Kerry - Phryne Fisher Series  - Tv Show based on the books.  Printable List
  • Lutz, Lisa - Spellman Files Series
  • Marchmont, Helana - Bunburry Series - Set in the Costswolds, this is one of three series that I devour, and that inflate my end of year book counts.  Most of these books are 100-200 pages.  The Mydworth and Cherringham Series specifically are meant to be read on the train to and from work.  SUPER quick and light.  I love all three series!
  • Rosenfelt, Davis - Andy Carpenter Series - This is our go to "road trip" series.  Light, funny, but not silly.  
  • Springer, Nancy - Enola Holmes Series [YA Series]  Printable List

Detective Mystery Series:
  • Castillo, Linda -  Kate Burkholder [Amish] Series - Very graphic murder mysteries.  When these were recommended to me by an elderly former librarian, I was expecting cozy Amish mystery.  Oh.  No.  In the early books there are whole sections I skipped over because the murders were a bit too graphic for me.  Later books tone down quite a bit, although these are still not anything close to a "cozy" read.  They are quite good though!  Amish woman leaves the faith, comes back to her hometown as the chief of police, in the community populated heavily with Amish farms, and Amish murders.  Printable List
  • Christie, Agatha - Poirot.  New Poirot series by Sophie Hannah has been hit or miss for me, but I did like Silent Night...
  • Christie, Agatha - Miss Marple [I've never finished this entire series!  It's on my to read list now.]
  • Cornwall, Patricia - Scarpetta Series.  Medical Examiner. (I feel the need to keep reading these, even though I no longer love them...  it's like keeping in touch with an old friend you have history with, but nothing really in common anymore)
  • Deaver, Jeffery - Lincoln Rhyme Series.  
  • Fox, Candice - Crimson Lake Series [only 3 books. ]
  • French, Nicci  - Frieda Klein Series - 8 books in total.  Thrillers -  unput-down-able, series, all 8 books are their own books, but they also all connect, and the 8th book brings the full story together.  
  • French, Tana - Dublin Murder Squad
  • Gardner, Lisa - D.D. Warren Series
  • Grafton, Sue -  Kinsey Millhone Series  - Female PI
  • King, Laurie - Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes SeriesPrintable List
  • Muller, Marcia -  Sharone McCone Series - Female PI
  • Paretsky, Sara -V. I. Warshawski - Female PI 
  • Raybourne, Deanna - Victoria Speedwell Series.  I debated listing this under cozy..  but it's more historical/romance.  Fun series.   An adventurous woman who ignores societal rules, Speedwell has traveled the world collecting butterfly specimens, she meets her match in Stoker, an outcast from a prominent family. Victorian England.
  • Regan, Lisa -  Josie Quinn Series - Written by a local author, these definitely get better later in the series. I suspect that if I had read them in order I may not have ever continued reading..  but I had started with something like book 6 - whatever was available from our library at the time.  :-)
  • Reichs, Kathy - Temperence Brennen Series.  Forensic Pathologist. The Tv Series Bones was based on these books.
  • Stout, Rex - Nero Wolf Series.  1930s/40s detective series - LOVE these so much.  There's an old A&E tv series based on the books that was quite good too.  
====================








2 comments:

  1. May I suggest The “in Death” series by JD Robb? Set in 2060, where people have come up with new ways to commit murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love suggestions! :-) The In Death series is my best friends favorite series. She anxiously awaits each new release. :-)

      Delete