Sour Notes - One Dough, Two Techniques

 
Two Methods Compared Using The Same Sourdough

Continuing my adventures with sourdough.. I've been working on technique comparisons. This past week I took two batches of the exact same dough, and used two different methods. One sat on the counter, one sat in the fridge.

I did not get as much rise on the dough from the fridge. But in a blind taste test, everyone preferred the flavor, even though it was a tad more dense. Both loaves were good - but the one where the dough sat in the fridge was just better.

The Recipe - This is the reliable recipe that has never failed me.
You should be able to right click and "save as" if you would like to print this to use yourself.

This week I'm going to add an autolyse for comparison- that just means I'll be combining the water and flour and letting them sit a bit before I add the starter.


I'm really enjoying all of this very much. But I will say that pumpkin shaped loaves are not overly practical for sandwiches or toast.. Still, I can't resist playing with the pumpkin shape, this time of year. I saw recently where someone makes theirs in a roaster (not a Dutch oven) and I think I may try that soon - a longer oval loaf is more practical for us most of the time.

================

No comments:

Post a Comment