Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Sourdough Cookie Recipe

 
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Sourdough Discard Cookie Recipe
Adapted from The Boy Who Bakes

Sourdough discard is the portion of your sourdough starter that is removed and discarded before feeding the remaining starter.   When I feed my sourdough starter, I pour the "discard" into a container I keep in the fridge.  That discard can be used in so many recipes - including crackers, waffles, pancakes..  and cookies.  

For my first attempt at sourdough discard chocolate chip cookies, I started with the recipe from The Boy Who Bakes.  I added some clarifications on instructions (such as how to brown the butter) and added the approximate measurements in cups in addition to grams.  Although I do think it is important to weigh ingredients when using sourdough, I find it helpful to know about how much to scoop out to weigh.  :-)

Also - the original recipe says it makes 24 cookies.  I used a medium sized cookie scoop, and got about 60 cookies.  It's hard to give an exact count, because family members were passing through my kitchen,  eating them as they came out of the oven...  

First I'll type out the recipe I used, here.  Then below that text is a photo you can right click on and print, or save, with the entire recipe on one page.  Below that I have a few links to additional Sourdough Discard Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I had originally thought I would try a few different recipes, doing a comparison,  but I'm so happy with this one that I  probably won't bother with any others anytime soon - there are too many recipes I want to try for other things.

Scroll to the bottom of the page to save the full size version.

========================

The Purpose Of Sourdough Discard In Baking

I don't really understand the science here, and I can't promise this is true, I'm too new at all of this. But I'm told that the sourdough discard "pre-hydrates a portion of the flour as well as breaking down some of the carbohydrates, making the cookie slightly less sweet because some of the carbs have been consumed by yeast, and affecting the texture"  

Or "It adds a richness and a velvety texture". 

I can say, these cookies are REALLY good.  

======================

225g [1 Cup] Butter, Browned
380g  [Approx. 3 cups] flour 
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
220g [Approx 1 cup] Sugar
220g [Approx 1 cup] light brown sugar
3 egg yolks to the Butter & Sugar, Mix well.
240g [Approx 1]c Sourdough Starter.
1 tsp vanilla extract
500g [Approx. 3 1/4 cups] Dark Chocolate Chips

==========================

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted From: The Boy Who Bakes

Refrigerate Dough 4-24 Hours  =   Bake : 350   16-18 = Minutes Yields: Abt. 60 cookies

A Sourdough Discard Recipe

225g [1 Cup] Butter, Browned
      Dice, and Brown.  To Brown Butter, cook slowly over medium heat, stirring with a spatula.  Allow to foam.  As the foam subsides, the solids will brown. As soon as the butter smells nutty and toasted, and turns a deep golden brown, it's ready! Immediately transfer it to a heatproof bowl to cool for about 30 minutes. It will keep cooking and could burn if you leave it in the pan.  Do not skip this step - it removes liquid from the butter.  After browning, you should have approximately 185g of butter.

Mix Dry Ingredients & Set Aside:
380g  [Approx. 3 cups] flour 
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt

Whisk Butter & Sugars Together:
Browned Butter [Approx185g ]
220g [Approx 1 cup] Sugar
220g [Approx 1 cup] light brown sugar

Add:
3 egg yolks to the Butter & Sugar, Mix well.

Add:
240g [Approx 1]c Sourdough Starter.
1 tsp vanilla extract

   Mix until it looks like thick cake batter.

Add: 
Dry Ingredients.  Mix just until combined.

Mix in:
500g [Approx. 3 1/4 cups] Dark Chocolate Chips

Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for between 4 & 24 hours.
Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes.  Allow to cool on pan for 10 minutes before removing to rack to finish cooling.

===================
PRINT VERSION OF 
THE RECIPE PAGE
Right click on it and choose "Save As"
===================

====================
See, and download, other pages from my sourdough logbook/cookbook

==============================

MORE SOURDOUGH DISCARD 
CHOCOLATE CHIP RECIPES
===============================


A "Cakier" Version










No comments:

Post a Comment