On My Desk - A Birthday Cake Topper

 
A quick and easy birthday cake topper for a small birthday dinner for my mom.
Her 2 year old great grandson helped both make the cake, lemon with blueberries, and also with the cake topper.  

Although there are dozens of free options for cake toppers, I was in a hurry, and I had something somewhat specific in mind.  So I purchased one, and modified it for what I wanted.  It could easily be recreated for free - but as I said, I was in a hurry, and I already owned a couple of the svgs I used.
=======================
This is the cake topper I started with - planning just to add a 3d flower on the bottom.  I made a simple two layer round cake, and found that 6 inches wide, by 7.2 inches tall worked well for me, leaving room to add candles.

There's an entire thread of  FREE cake topper svgs in the facebook group for this page.  But not one quite like this, and I didn't have the time to fuss with trying to recreate this base design by myself - so I purchased this one.

For the flowers, I used the Canada Craft Studio Sunflower, and just changed the colors.  There are literally dozens of FREE flower svgs I could have used, but I had been working on more of the sunflower and bee magnets, so I had this project near the top in Design Space.  So this is what I used.  :-)   

I resized the flower, selecting all to group, and then sizing the largest layer down to 2 inches.  That worked well for this project.

 
And again, there are dozens of free layered butterfly svgs!  No need to purchase one!  But I had purchased this one in the $1 deals sales, and it was perfect for this - so it is the one I used.

I made them about 2.5 inches tall, and roughly 3 inches wide.

I use wooden skewers from the dollar tree.  They are easy to cut to size.
I first apply a line of hot glue, add the skewer, then add painters tape over the top.  Then I covered it with a second cut of the back layer.

For the flowers, I just quickly hand cut circles of paper to cover the stick, and the butterfly came with an extra back layer, so it worked perfectly.

And then I decided, after adding the 3d flower to the bottom, that I wanted the flower at the top to be 3d too.  So I folded one in half, placing foam tape in between his wings to give him added dimension, and added him right over top the existing cut out butterfly.  It does not perfectly line up with the purple base layer.  I was ok  with that, it was good enough - but you could resize your butterfly to fit better if you wanted. 

That's it!  It was really quick and easy, and it didn't catch on fire when we added the candles, which I do admit, I worried about a little when I first made this.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment