On My Desk 3/27 - The Bright Easter Shadow Box

 
Making the Easter Bright Shadow Box Design by Filigrind

On my desk tonight...  an Easter Shadow Box. This one surprised me, because typically all downloads from Design Bundles are high quality files. This download was a little bit of a mess, but it all works and cuts great, you just have to use some of the png files. 

 Once you download and unzip, you upload part 3 (there is no part 1 or 2 for cutting) as a png, the svg will not work in design space, it errors out as too large of a file.  Then you can upload the svgs for 4-8, but there are no svgs for parts 9-11 in the download.  (I messaged the designer, but have not yet heard back)  For 9-10, again I uploaded the png files.  Because they are transparent pngs, and the nature of this design, there's no need to do anything other than upload and choose "cut" - there's nothing to clean up nor erase.  

11 is actually just a square, you wouldn't have to upload anything, you can just use the shape tool to create your own square.

All of the pieces upload in the color white.  Above is a screenshot of my design space screen, showing the colors I used for each layer, to get the finished design shown here.  In order, they are:
3,4,5
6,7,8
9,10,11

For the pieces you upload as pngs, you will want to resize - they upload at very large sizes.  This is set to be a 10x10 piece, but for shadow boxes, it's always best to resize to 9x9, or 8x8, especially if you want to make your own shadow boxes from 12x12 cardstock.

I forgot that, and cut it as 10x10.  I was able to make my own shadow box using my scoring board, cutting just the "window" for the top part with cricut.  It's not perfect, the frame is a little thinner than I typically like, but it was quick and easy to make.


Using two sheets of 12x12 cardstock, I cut a square out of the center of one, using my cricut.

Then I used my scoring board (I love this thing) to score just over half an inch around all 4 sides of both sheets of cardstock.  This paper cutter/scoring board cost me around $20 on amazon, and I use it to score most of my cards.  It's faster than using cricut, and makes a much nicer score line.  Find it here: https://amzn.to/3wHRw7C

After scoring, at each corner, make one cut, on the score line, as shown above.
Then fold on the score lines, folding over the cut ends and gluing to form a box shape.


It's very lightweight.  I normally keep a shadow box at this location above my desk - it covers a small hole from an old lighting fixture that was removed from this room many years ago.  Normally I use 3m velcro strips to hang them here, but I was out tonight, so until I get more, I hung this with painters tape.  It's light enough that that would likely hold it there just fine.

===========================
As an affiliate for a number of sites, I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through the  links in this post.  It will in no way effect your cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment