Canada Crafts Studio Elephant Canvas

 
This design was in the 90% off sale in February 2022 - Making it $1.30.  

I've made other projects from this designer, and although I love them - they never have instructions, or even sizes - so it can take a little work to figure them out.  I think this is because many of the designs are made to be wall art - so the sizes would vary based on the space.


I wanted this to fit on a canvas that could be hung on a wall.  The canvas I used is 16x20.  I wouldn't want to make this much smaller - the smallest petals on the flowers here were about as small as I'd want to work with, personally.  

SUPPLIES USED:
  • 1 sheet black 12x12 cardstock
  • 1 sheet pink 12x12 cardstock
  • 1 sheet white 8.5x11 cardstock
  • 1 piece black vinyl (I used frisco matte black - it's my favorite)
  • String or ribbon.  I used grey bakers twine
  • The SVG, from Canada Crafts Studio.  Check both sites to see where it is cheapest this week - this one frequently goes on Sale.  Design Bundles   Creative Fabrica
The svg for this project will upload in two parts.  One part will be the elephant, the second part will be everything you need for one flower. (You will need 7 flowers to recreate this.)

ORIGINAL UPLOAD SIZE
Elephant 10.823 x 11.002
Flower pieces 11.686 x 10.829
If you cut it as is, the elephant will, obviously, be 10.823 x 11.002, and the flowers, when assembled, will be about 5 inches in diameter.

This is what my Design Space screen looked like once I had everything resized and duplicated.
To replicate this design in this color scheme, you'll duplicate the flower group 6 times - then change the color of 3 groups to black, 3 groups to pink, and one group to white.  Step By Step Details below:

RESIZED FOR 16x20 CANVAS

Select all of the flower group - petals, leaves, etc - all of it.
Resize to 6.006 x 5.565


There are 7 flowers for this canvas.  Duplicate the flower group 6 times.
Change the petals to Pink on 3 groups
Change the petals to Black on 3 groups
Change the petals to White on one group

All the black pieces cut from one 12x12 piece of cardstock, all of the pink from one 12x12 piece of pink.
For the White, you can easily use 8.5 x 11 cardstock - it didn't use much.

A closer look at how the petals are staggered on the flowers.

If you have never assembled flowers like this before, you may want to cut an extra one for practice.  They are super simple to assemble.
Fold all of the petals in half long ways, to add dimension.
Then apply one large petal to each side of the octagon base.  
Next, apply one medium petal, staggered over top.
Then apply the smallest petals last, again staggering them.  
Place the center of the flower in the palm of your hand, and curl your hand, so the sides of the center fold up.
Glue in the center.

On the white group, be sure to change the flower center to black.


I resized the elephant to 5.562 x 5.654
Then I changed the color of the elephant to grey, even though I cut it out of black vinyl.
Cricut will automatically send everything that is the same color to one mat - if the elephant is the same color as the flower, it will put them all on one mat.
Since I was cutting the flower from paper, and the elephant from vinyl, that wouldn't work for me.  A quick work around is to change the color of the elephant.  It doesn't matter what color you change it to, as long as you put black vinyl on the mat and load it into the machine, it will be black vinyl that cuts.  :-)

Painters tape helped to pick up all of the little pieces off the elephant when weeding it.

I looked at a variety of ways to add the string.  I considered painting fabric covered floral wire black.  I considered using a marker to draw the strings.  I considered waiting until I went to the store and looked for black ribbon.

In the end, I decided on grey bakers string that I had in my craft drawer.  I attached it to the back of each flower before I attached the flower to the canvas, leaving a very long tail.  Then I tied a knot and glued the knot to the elephants trunk.


The original design just uses 4 pieces of ribbon, on the four bottom flowers.

=================
As an affiliate for Design Bundles, Creative Fabrica, and Amazon, I may earn a small commission if you purchase items through the links on this page.  This will in no way effect your cost, but is a nice incentive for me to keep writing tutorials.  :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment