Farm Themed Nursery Banner with Cricut

A banner for my nephews farm themed nursery - made with cricut

Quick Notes:

============
Step By Step:
=============

The Banner was the most complicated part of this - and it's not hard at all, it just took me a few steps to get the layers.  I wanted 3 layers.  The sizes I ended up with were:

The problem was, when I just duplicated and resized the banner, the holes did not line up.  So I used contour to remove the circle cuts, added two new circles, sized them down and welded them together.  Then I duplicated 3x.  Next I stacked all three banner pieces on top of each other, using Align/Center to make sure they were lined up correctly.  Placed all three welded circle designs on top of the stack, also using align center on the three to make sure they were perfectly aligned.  Then from the layers panel on the right, I would choose one banner and one set of circles, and choose slice.  Delete all of the new sliced pieces from the layers panel, and then choose the next banner and circles and choose slice, etc.  

Once I had one set of three layered banners, I grouped them together and duplicated them for each letter in the banner.  

The font I used is Happy Cow - Free on Dafont:
To make the letters dimensional (two layers) I typed my text, then duplicated it.  Then I had to ungroup the duplicated text, and one letter at a time, I chose Contour/Remove all Contours.  That gave me a solid white version of the text.  Then I simply layered the black version on top of the white.  Here's a look at that step by step:
The Happy Cow Font has "transparent" pieces.  It's perfect as a cutting font, as all the pieces in the letters are connected, but there will be "holes" where a background color can show through.  To create that background layer, I simply used contour, to make a solid version of the text, as shown in white here.

To use contour on text, you have to ungroup it and select each letter one at a time.  Then simply choose "hide all contours" on the bottom right.  For letters like the A, you will want to click on the triangle to put that cut back.  

Contour is used simply to remove cuts - so it could be possible to play with this and make more than two layers for the text, keeping some of the cuts for one layer, and different cuts for the next layer..  but that was a bit beyond my attention span  Two layers was enough for me today.  :-)

Once I had the text layered on the layered banner, I uploaded the Tractor and Barn SVGs, and resized them slightly.  I flipped the tractor so that it is pulling the banner, rather than driving into it.

I cut everything from 8.5x11 paper, this worked out to 20 mats to cut.  Most of it cut pretty quickly, although a few layers did take some time.  



=======================
===================
Find More Cricut Project Tutorials Here:




 

No comments:

Post a Comment