Dollar Tree Cookie Sheet Metal Flowers

This Flower made from Dollar Tree cookie sheets held up for nearly three years outdoors - one year on the porch, and two out in the open on a fence, before a storm blew it down and it was mangled under the trampoline.  I hadn't really expected it to hold up that well   - I was impressed!  

Supplies:
This is a really easy project.  I bought a pair of kitchen scissors at the Dollar Tree just for this project, but regular scissors would have worked - the pans cut really easily!

Don't worry about the cuts being perfect.  The edges of some of my flowers are cut from the flat edge of the pan - so I could fit more petals on one sheet.   You have to look hard to even notice that.
The paints I used were Martha Stewart craft paints and a milk paint - because I had them on hand.  I only had these because they were 70% off at Michaels awhile back, I normally do not purchase such expensive paints.  But they were cheap when I bought them.  :-)  Spray paint works for these too!  Rustoleum 2x is my favorite.

I put a thick paintbrush (a thick crayola marker would work too) along the edges and lightly rolled the edge around to give the leaves some dimension.

Most flower patterns or templates come with a circle for the base.  It does not show, but it is what you attach the petals to, and then when it is complete, you can attach a loop, or a soda can tab to the back as a hanger.  I cut the circle out of white foam board, to give this a bit more stability.  For the ones I play to hang outside in our backyard, I think I will have my husband cut me some wood circles - or I may just try cutting the circle from one of the pans too.
To assemble, start with the largest petals, then stagger the next size on top, and repeat with the smallest petals.

I used E600 glue for this, and it works, but it dries slow.  I placed the paint on the petals after each layer for a minute or so - and now that it's all together, I still have a bottle of paint sitting in the middle waiting for this to dry completely - I will let it sit overnight to be safe.  Next time I may try hot glue.

The Free Flower Templates


I used the free template for this flower from Gina Creates, found here:

I did not use my cricut for this.  You could cut the template pieces with cricut, but it's quicker to cut them by hand.  



You can use any paper flower template for these - making an unlimited number of variations - find a long list of free templates, tutorials, and svgs for paper flowers here - 

==========================

Cricut & The Dollar Tree

https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2018/03/cricut-dollar-tree.html

===================

 Find More Cricut Project Tutorials Here:

==========================


4 comments:

  1. You have 2 different paints, could you explain more how to paint these? Each petal a different color or paint each petal with both colors? Really love this craft, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to explain how I paint, because there is no method. :-) there are 3 colors here - off white, a blue, and a grey. I painted each size a different color, and then I lightly painted other colors over the top. Once the first color is on, I rinse out the brush and use it while it is damp to lightly apply other colors - and I often use a second dry brush to wipe some of the excess off. I took the grey around the sides of all the petals, then brushed most of it off - and streaked some of it across the inside of the petals... I wish I could give you better instructions, but I just kind of fling paint on there until I like how it looks - and if it's too much, I wipe it back off.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this. I want to try it. I have lung cancer and have turned to crafting for therapy. It helps me take my mind off of it. It has helped me to try new things. Thank you for sharing this 🙂🙏

    ReplyDelete