I use Multi Million Dollar Satellites- Free Geocaching SVG

I use Multi - Million Dollar Satellites To Find Tupperware In The Woods
A Geocaching T-Shirt - Free SVG
Way back in 2006, our boys Boy Scout leader invited the families to come along on a hike in the nearby game lands, in Union County PA,  to go "geocaching".  We'd never heard of geocaching, but I wanted to go on the hike, because it was a hike around the TNT bunkers.  During World War II, the government confiscated all the farms in several small villages, bulldozed them, and constructed a TNT plant.  The TNT operations there lasted just 11 months.  But the farms were gone, and the land was far to contaminated to be used as farm land again.  The Bunkers - Large cement domes - still remain, trees and grass now covering the tops, but you can still walk inside many of them.  You can read more about all of that, and see photos of their construction,  here.

When we got to the hike, the scout leader explained that we would be using his handheld gps unit to guide us to the location of a hidden item.  I may not have been paying too much attention to all of that.  It sounded like a good scout activity though.  The gps unit lead us to a bunker, and on top of the bunker the boys found a small altoid tin, with coordinates inside.  Those coordinates had to be entered into the gps, and that took us to our next destination, which was another interesting sight.    Ok, now I was paying attention.  Exactly how many cool things will this game take me too?

That day, it was 3 locations, and the final - which was an ammo box with some trinkets inside for trade, and a logbook to sign.  Nearly 20 years later, I can't even begin to tell you how many really, really neat things geocaching has taken us to see.  And these days, its just an app on our phone - no handheld gps unit needed.  

One of the interesting geocaches we found in Central Pa recently.
There's a geocache hidden inside this little free library, in  a red telephone booth.

Granted, it's also taken us to far too many lamp posts, guard rails, and piles of rocks..  but that's because my husband is a lot more dedicated to this game than I am.  When I plan our cache trips, I only plan to visit the gadget caches, interesting sights, and unique locations.  [sort the caches by favorite points, that will get you started on the "good" ones]  My husband will, if I don't grumble too much, find EVERY cache, even if it's a magnet on a guardrail.  :-)

View from A Geocache  - and some place I probably never would have visited if not for geocaching.

Read more about geocaching at the official site here:
https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Making The Shirt
Quick Links:




================



No comments:

Post a Comment