Heart Shaped Pierogies for Valentines Day

Heart Shaped Pierogies For Valentines Day
Pronounced ‘puh-row-gee', Pierogies are a polish dish, consisting most commonly of a mashed potato mixture inside of a flour based dough.

You could not drag me kicking and screaming into a restaurant on Valentines Day.  WAY too crowded, and usually overpriced, for me.  I would rather stay home and cook.  My favorite menu is prime rib, or steaks, and heart shaped pierogies.

I use a simple heart cookie cutter to cut out the dough, place a spoon of mashed potatoes (Into which I have already mixed some sour cream, cheese, garlic, and sauteed onions ) and top with another heart of dough.  Then I use a fork to crimp the edges.

I usually boil these lightly, then toss in melted butter and more sauteed onions, and serve with sour cream.

For the Dough:

2 cups of flour
2 eggs (room temperature, and lightly beaten with a fork)
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup of room temperature water

Mix until the dough is well mixed and firm.  Let sit in a covered bowl for a few minutes.  (I usually let it sit while I mix up the potatoes)

For the Filling:
half an onion, sliced thin, sauteed in butter
mashed potatoes - you can even use instant
a little sour cream, to thin the potatoes

mix all together. 

Cook in boiling water until they float. Optional, after boiling, pan fry in butter and seasoning [garlic pepper is our favorite]

 For "regular" [not heart shaped] pierogies, cut 3 inch circles, fold in half after adding the filling.


Filling suggestions:
Sauerkraut
Bacon
Sausage
Mushrooms
jalapenos
spinach



===============
An Index Of My Cooking & Recipe Posts Can Be Found Here:



2 comments:

  1. Too cute! I might try these with Chinese dumpling filling as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clver idea! I LOVE perogies and this would be a fun St Valentine's Day dinner for my husband!

    ReplyDelete