Sour Notes - Spilling The Contents [And Tips]

 
The Contents Page Of My Sour Notes Journal
And Misc. Sourdough Related Notes
A Closer Look
Misc. Notes
My current starter is VERY old.
But does that matter?  Nope. not one bit. Sourdough starter absorbs yeast from the air.  So it's going to adapt and grow based on YOUR kitchen, not the one it was made in a hundred years ago.  There can be some advantage to buying a starter, or getting an established one from a friend - it will often be stronger, faster, than one you start yourself in your own kitchen.
=======================
In a blind taste test here, I found that everyone preferred the taste of sourdough that had been cold fermented (dough left in the fridge overnight). It adds flavor.
=========================
The thicker the starter, the faster it doubles in size.
=========================
Traditional round boules feel fancy and are fun to make.  But realistically, we eat a lot more soft sourdough, and that’s actually much easier to make.
======================
The "no metal" rule is an old one.  Metals like aluminum, zinc, iron and steel can corrode or pit, or leach toxins, when left in contact with acidic ingredients like sourdough starter. Most of our kitchen utensils are stainless steel these days, and will rarely cause any issues.  Still, although I wouldn't hesitate to use a spoon to stir, I wouldn't store my starter in a metal container, personally.
========================
As much as I want to just "wing it", I find that I really do need a scale, personally.  Although I've made sourdough just fine without the scale, my results tend to be better when I use one.
=========================
===========================
See more of my Sour Notes Sourdough Journal here:

No comments:

Post a Comment