PAID FEATURE - Warp Text In Design Space

  


A look at the new Warp Text Option, and free alternatives for those who choose not to pay for Cricut Access.

Warp Text has come to Design Space  BETA, Version 7.29.147

The option is located at the top of the screen, beside the offset button.

We can all play with it, but if you want to make items with the text you create, you have to pay the Access Subscription fee.  Cricut said last year that they would be rolling out features for paid members only, this is not the first, but this, for me, has been the most interesting.  Not interesting enough for me to pay $100 a year  - I would rather buy my svgs outright than spend $100 a year renting them, owning nothing when I stop paying. I don't use cricut materials, so the discount is also of no benefit to me.

But just because I don't personally like something does not mean there's anything wrong with it - we all work differently.  What works for me may not work for you!  After all, I keep creamer in my fridge for my daughters coffee - even though I drink mine black.  :-) 

I played with the feature a bit this morning, and it's fun.  It definitely works better with thicker fonts, and I found ALL CAPITAL LETTERS to work better with the feature.  But that's a matter of preference, and will vary greatly by font, I think.

There are a lot of shape options.  



But from what I could see, there is no option to warp to your own shape.  That may come later, or maybe I was missing it.  Here's how to do that for free in Inkscape:



Another free program that warps text is 
I have not used this myself, but there is a tutorial here:

And their site explains how to save as svg in the help article here:


1 comment:

  1. Text can also be warped in Microsoft Word using their WordArt feature. It doesn't have a lot of variety of shapes to warp the text, but its another option if you have MS Word on your computer.

    ReplyDelete