Converting A Layered Mandala Into A Card

 
The "Valentine" Mandala Gnome, converted into a Birthday Card


I know this svg is for Valentines Day, but I thought it would make a great Birthday card.  I often make cards from these layered mandala designs.  You can, of course, just glue them onto a regular rectangle card.  But I like to make them shaped.  It's easy to do - here's how:

First, select the very back layer of the design, and duplicate it.    The Duplicate Button is the two squares with a + sign, right beside the trash can, at the top of the layers panel.

In the above photo, you can see the duplicate on the right.  

For this design, there isn't much to connect on the right.  But if I flip the design horizontal, there is more to work with.  So select all, flip horizontal.

Now select the duplicate you made, and duplicate it.  Flip the new duplicate horizontal, and move them together until they are just barely touching.

Then add a rectangle in the middle.  Just enough to add some extra support where the card will fold.

Select the two backgrounds, and your rectangle, and weld, so that it is all one piece.

Now you have your card base.  I change it to white, because it's easier to write on the inside of a white card.  You can add a score line if you want, use "Align" at the top of the Design Space screen to center it.  Remember to attach the score line if you add one.  

If you want a thicker card outline, you can use offset to add a larger version of the cut out.  I didn't do that for this one - but here's an example of what it looks like when I add an offset:


The original layered mandala then just gets glued onto the card base.  

Here's another example of one I made previously:

And another one:
I added small ovals at the ears and feet to connect this one.  Then I folded the center of the card accordion style - the center fold folding in instead of out.  That allowed the card to stand nicely on its own.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! I had done something similar but didn't think of welding a rectangle between the pieces. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete