Change For The Seasons HOME Sign

 
Interchangeable Vertical HOME Sign, using a ceramic floor tile and wooden tiles attached by velcro


Some later tiles...  More and more, I've been using paper designs for the center, since this sign is inside, beside my craft desk.  

Tips & Reference:

  • I used 6x24 ceramic floor tiles.  You can sometimes find boxes really cheap at Lowes, often a discontinued pattern, or an odd box.  You can sometimes find white ones that would save you some painting too.
  • TIP  - Paint the tiles the day before.  The paint is much more likely to peel up if you do not let them dry thoroughly.  
  • I used a variety of paints on the different tiles I made.  Surprisingly, Rustoleum spray paint did NOT work well for me. But that may have been because it was too cold outside, or because I didn't let it dry long enough.  Martha Stewart Chalk Paint & cheap  Apple barrel craft paint from Wal-Mart both worked well.  I tried modge podge over the paint, but I think that made the paint peel more, not less.  The key was to  make sure the tiles were room temperature when I painted them (not left in the cold garage overnight...) and then let them dry for at least a day.  You could also try using Press & Seal as your transfer tape, but once I let them dry long enough,  I didn't have any problems with the paint lifting.
  • You can find the thin wood tiles at Wal-mart, or on Amazon here.  I happened to have a few of these Plaid Wood Tile Boards that I picked up at the Dollar Tree a year or so ago.  I can't find them on their website, and don't know if you can still find them in any of the stores.  
  • I used velcro on the back of the wooden tiles.  I used what I already had on hand in my sewing cabinet, and attached it with hot glue  - but you can buy it with adhesive already on it. 
  • See the Halloween Signs I made here
  • See the Christmas Vertical Signs I made here
  • Find Free Vertical Sign SVGS here

The Home svg I used - FREE - 

I started with this free svg
(I made the pumpkin orange for my September option)




No comments:

Post a Comment