Book Chat - May & June 2020

What I Have Been Reading,  Not Reading, & 
What I'm Most Looking Forward To Reading Next

Did you read anything especially good this past month? I'd love to hear about them! Especially if you have read a good mystery or thriller. I've been branching out into other genres a bit more recently, and I am to the point where I would really love a good, gripping, mystery. I feel like I've been in a bit of a reading slump.

My online book clubs have all gone to socially relevant and politically themed reads. So not my thing. Don't get me wrong, I love a good historical novel with social relevance - just not when it's being jammed down my throat as the "must read" to capitalize on current issues, and especially when it's not particularly good, nor well written. I like to come upon my social relevance a bit more naturally. :-)

For me, this month, that surprisingly came from a 2008 historical fiction book about the Salem Witch Trials. I know - I wasn't expecting that either. And even more odd, this is almost a light summer read. It's listed as Christian Fiction - but it's not really, it's more of a young adult historical fiction novel, in my opinion. It's definitely a much lighter read than the Crucible. :-) In The Shape Of Mercy by Susan Messiner, College student Lauren Durough take a part-time job with  83-year-old  former librarian , to transcribe the journal entries of her ancestor Mercy Hayworth, a victim of the Salem witch trials.  It's dual time line, historical fiction, and it was a really good read.


Another light read - in May I read A Bad Day For Sunshine, by Darynda Jones. It's listed for those who like Janet Evanovich, and it does have a bit of that vibe. Funny, even silly, with some obvious "seriously, how can you be so dense?" moments. The underlying mystery and back story in this, which is billed as a series but only has one book so far, seems a bit darker and deeper than Evanovich's mysteries, or perhaps just a bit more personal, since the main character is involved. I enjoyed it, and will watch for the next one - I'd like to know the whole back story, and you don't get that in the first book. (This appears to be a bit different than the authors normal books - I haven't read the paranormal series she is most known for)

This was just a charming, light, read. Pure fiction, you won't really learn much about Austen in this book, although there's enough reference to her life and works to make it appealing to her fans. Not only do the characters in the novel discuss Austen books and characters, but in some of their dialogue, you may spot lines from Austen books as well - slipped in to the modern dialogue with no hint of their origin, for those who are not devout Austen readers.
There IS a Jane Austen society, but it is in no way reflected in this book - this story is truly 100% fiction. That in no way made it a less enjoyable read. The real Jane Austen Society - http://www.janeaustensoci.freeuk.com/


In one review, someone called this a "quirky thriller". I don't know how to describe this myself, so we'll start with that. This is an old series - written in the 1950s. So it's a vintage quirky thriller. :-) And it's got a sort of Great Gatsby-ish feel.. Wealth, privilege, (not for Ripley himself, mind you) and an unintentional serial killer that you end up empathizing with enough to root for him to get away with his crimes... and that's just book one in the series.
A quirky gatsby-ish vintage noir thriller.
This made it onto my list a couple of years ago when a more recent thriller was reviewed as a "Complete rip off of The Talented Mr Ripley". I can remember that review, but I cannot remember what the modern book was. I can tell you for certain that it was not a rip off of The Talented Mr Ripley, because I have never ready anything like this Ripley series. I don't even know if I'll read the rest of the books. I've heard he gets married in the next installment, and I almost have to read that now, because I can't figure out how that would work. But then, I could have never figured out how the first book would work either.
It's unique.

I've been reading Paretsky's detective series for close to 30 years now. I didn't particularly love this one, didn't hate it either. It's one of those quick reads that I remember enjoying, but a month later, I can't really tell you the plot. 20 some years ago, this series, the Sue Grafton series, the Sharon McCone series by Marcia Muller - female private detectives were popular in the 90s. I read them all, and I will continue to read them as long as the authors write them. They are like visits with old friends - we may no longer have a strong bond, I never particularity liked a lot of their life choices, but we've been through a lot together and it's still nice to visit from time to time.

In this books defense, I was expecting more of a Fredrik Bakman book, or something along the lines of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine - and there is absolutely NOTHING in this books description that should have made me expect that. I don't know where I would have gotten that idea even.
This is a perfectly good read.  The characters are interesting.  The story line works, and it is all wrapped up pretty neatly at the end.  It is simply not my preferred genre. Honestly, throw a murder in there, and I probably would have loved this book.  Use all the gossipy neighborhood drama as the background for a whodunit, and I'd be a huge fan. Which really makes no sense at all, as I'd be reading the same story, with the same gossipy neighborhood drama. 
 Three stars from me, but that's more a reflection on me as the reader than on the author and the book.  :-)

This was supposed to be my "gripping thriller" to break me out of my reading slump, as nothing I read recently was anything I particularly loved. I expected this to be something I wouldn't be able to put down, and that I would really enjoy. It was.. well, not the worst thing I've read recently. I spent half the book thinking the main character was an absolute idiot, and that her "friends" were too implausibly willing to go along with her gullibility. Still I could sympathize a bit with her, it was written in a way you gave her a little leeway for her stupidity. But then it went way too far. And after that, for the end of the book, I was into eye rolling, no freaking way that even makes sense, sighing. It has a good plot. It has potential. The shocking twist ending could have been something great - but it was just stretched a bit too far, and apparently I wasn't in the mood.

When a book like this has so much possibility to be really good, and falls short, I often like it even less than a mediocre book . It's probably a 3 star read really - but I gave it two stars, out of extreme disappointment for what it could have been.

This is a "Gritty Scandanavian Noir Mystery". So I probably liked it more than if the same story had been written in the USA setting, as I tend to be less judgmental of the characters when they are in other countries. (I'm not going to analyze that - it is what it is.) There's a lot going on, too many characters, too many points of view... and yet I really did enjoy the book. Perhaps I related a bit too well to the cranky old lady in the center of the story. :-) The mystery didn't go quite where I thought it would - which is always nice. This was a debut novel for Engleberg, and it looks like it will be a series. I'll definitely watch for a sequel.

John Grisham set out to write a Beach Read, just to prove he could. The result was Camino Island, and I remember loving it. Probably in part because it was so uncharacteristic of a Grisham book, but it was also a great summer read. Mystery, an island, a bookstore - all of my favorite things. The sequel, Camino Winds.. well, it was a good quick summer read. Somehow I just didn't get the characters straight from the last book right away, and it left me a little muddled from the start. If I had read them back to back, I think I would have enjoyed this more. As it was, I constantly felt like I was forgetting something I should know, which truly does not make sense, as this would be a fine stand alone read.


DID NOT FINISH
Which seriously, almost never, happens. I (too) frequently read things I hate. But I just couldn't with this. It was such a mess that I was annoyed constantly, and I just don't need extra reasons to be annoyed these days. Dark, depressing, confusing, unlikable characters.. and the plot is seriously just a chaotic mess. I had this on my To Read list for two years. It released with rave reviews, won all sorts of awards, and it's both Historical Fiction and a Mystery - my two favorite genres.

But I just couldn't muddle through on this one. I noticed that recent reviews all are similar to my thoughts - making me wonder how many of the original glowing reviews were paid, or incentive reviews. :-( This is where I miss our local in person book clubs - I always got the best, honest, book recommendations there!


Currently Reading


"The Book Charmer swept through the book community last year. Bloggers raved about this gem with the perfect combo of sleepy Southern town, independent women and a magical friendship. I was curious" wrote Perspective Of A Writer.  

That is exactly why I picked this book up myself.   And then Reading Envy said "this book ended up feeling like a combination of Gilmore Girls (small town culture only in NC mountains) and Parks and Rec (city planner saving the town with festivals and committees and more.)"

Well, ok.  This should be a good summer read.  No murder, but I may enjoy it in spite of that.  So far it has a lot of characters, and a lot going on, and I'm a little confused on which story this book will be about..  but I am enjoying the writing and the characters, even if it does feel like i'm reading two different books at once,  at the moment.
It's through that review that I came across this book themed podcast this week that I am looking forward to listening to - it's from Reading Envy - http://readingenvy.blogspot.com/ I frequently struggle to find podcasts I like, but a couple of years ago I stumbled across Grisham's book tour, and I loved it. I am not even a big John Grisham fan, but his chats in bookstores with different authors about books was just fantastic. It's from 2017, but it is still online here - https://www.jgrisham.com/book-tour-with-john-grisham-podcast-live-now/ (That's what caused me to read Camino Island, which I really did love, even if I wasn't quite as in love with the sequel this year.)


And by "still reading" I mean, it's loaded on my phone, in my books app, and I'm a few chapters in.. but I just can't seem to get into it. I think that has more to do with the state of our current world and my mindset than the book.

Erik Larson is one of my favorite authors. Devil In White City is one of my absolute favorite books - it made the staircase list in our home (we each picked three books). Winston Churchill is one of my favorite historical subjects. I am fascinated by the brash, rather horrible, man who accomplished so much for this world. But I just cannot seem to get into this book. That's ok - it will wait until I'm in a better frame of mind for it.. :-)


And, insanely, I'm "still reading" Behind Shooters Bar, by Danville resident Kay Derr. I adore Kay, she was in my Sunday School Class. This book is about her own personal mystery, and it's set in our local area. I'm going to LOVE This book, I just know it. So why has it taken me two years to read it? Because it's paperback, and I keep setting it down and losing it. (I typically only read ebooks on my phone - which has it's own "reading light" at bedtime, and is always with me) It would seriously probably take me an hour total to read this book start to finish. As soon as I locate it again, I'm going to set it by my chair on the porch, and I'm sure I will finish it in no time.

What I'm Looking Forward To Next Month:
Released June 30 2020

In the past year I've been reading about Amelia Earhart making unplanned visits to our local area when flying through, and then I read Beryl Markham's amazing memoir West With The Night and before that I read Fly Girls by Keith O'Brian... so lots of early female pilots. I've really been enjoying the early aviation history. Her Last Flight is historical fiction set in 1940's Hawaii (about 50 years after the book Moloka'i, the book about the leper colony in Hawaii, and still a few years before it would become part of the United States. My husband's great Aunt , Laura (Fague) Truckenmiller wrote a paper on "The Kingdom Of Hawaii" for a speech at Bucknell, and I suspect this book will cover some of the same topics - how Hawaii went from a Kingdom to a state - as it's about the right time frame. Coincidentally, Laura also survived a plane crash over Brazil in 1932 - she was an interesting woman!) And although I haven't read the book, it seems fairly obvious that Her Last Flight is based on Earhart's last flight.

."In 1947, photographer and war correspondent Janey Everett arrives at a remote surfing village on the Hawaiian island of Kauai to research a planned biography of forgotten aviation pioneer Sam Mallory, who joined the loyalist forces in the Spanish Civil War and never returned. Obsessed with Sam’s fate, Janey has tracked down Irene Lindquist, the owner of a local island-hopping airline, whom she believes might actually be the legendary Irene Foster, Mallory’s onetime student and flying partner. Foster’s disappearance during a round-the-world flight in 1937 remains one of the world’s greatest unsolved mysteries. "

I'm so excited to read this book - and at the same time I'm afraid it can't possibly live up to my expectations.  It is however, Beatriz Williams, so I do have good reason to hope it may possibly even exceed them.

If you are looking for more on Earhart, The Sound Of Wings was recommended to me by a woman in a book club I was in -so far I have loved every book that woman recommended to me, so I trust that when I get to this one, I will love it as well.

========================
More Book Reviews, Recommendations, and random book things


No comments:

Post a Comment