Dollar Tree Travel Coffee Mugs - Cricut

Cliff Notes:
 This is a Super CHEAP project.  50 cent travel coffee cups from Dollar tree, scrap vinyl.  It is a major pain in the butt to weed.  But I'm not strong on patience.  It would be easier if you use bigger cups, and make the design bigger.

Some have said you can remove the Take It To Go logo with acetate and a magic eraser.  I tried, it didn't go great for me.  (I ended up painting those cups).  I decided to just put the design on the blank side, and leave the take it to go on the opposite side.  

Step By Step How I Did This:

Find the free SVG here - https://all-free-download.com/free-vector/download/starbucks-coffee-0_111169.html

The Starbucks font is Gibson.  You can download it for free here:

http://www.fonts101.com/fonts/view/Uncategorized/48928/Gibson

(Do that now, before you open design space.  If you need to know how to install a font, try this post:  
https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/12/all-about-fonts-text-in-cricut-design.html)

Adding Text
Open a text box, type in your text, Choose the Gibson font.


Use The Curve Feature to curve your text.  If it does not fit the way you would like, ungroup your text, and manually move your letters - but in most cases, the curve feature should work great for this!


Now you have two options.  You can cut the letters out of white, and layer them on the green, or you can slice the letters out and let the background of the cup show through.

To slice, select your letters and weld.  You can only slice with TWO items selected at a time.  If you do not weld your letters, you will have to cut one letter out at a time.  If you weld the letters, you can slice them all out of the circle at once.



For these cups, I want a 3 inch decal.  So Select All, Choose Group, then in that top toolbar where it shows the size, type in a 3 and hit enter.



The cups I am using are the 2 for $1 "Take It To Go" Cups from the Dollar Tree.  I am leaving the Take It To Go on one side, and decorating the other side..

For the vinyl, I'm using 651. I buy it on Amazon, because...  free shipping.  I love Amazon prime!  Here's a look at my favorite vinyl, and where to buy it, with price comparisons including shipping costs: https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/cricut-which-vinyl-do-i-need-where-do-i.html

For transfer tape, I use contact paper from the Dollar Tree.


I like to transfer my designs all at once when possible.  So I transferred the green to the transfer tape, then added the black center to the transfer tape - putting the entire design together before it touches the cup.  When transferring the design, flip the design upside down, and run the scraper tool over the back, then pull the white backing up gently, starting at one corner and pulling diagonally.

Now to place on the cup, fold lightly in half, non sticky sides together.  Not enough to crease, just enough to find the middle. Stick the middle to the cup, then press down one just one side. Once the one side is down flat, flatten the other side.


That's it!  The longest part of this process for me was the weeding.  This really was a pain to weed.   

(yes, I did realize, after taking this pic, that I had put the green ring on the Daleck cup sideways..  I was able to remove it and put it back on correctly.  It takes about 48 hours for the 651 to seal permanently, so it was an easy fix - for the most part)

==================

2 comments:


  1. Thanks a lot for sharing them. I was thinking of doing it soon, just so I can torture myself, LOL! Seriously, this is so stressful for me… I will bookmark your post for futur references. Thanks!
    Funky coffee mugs online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much your explanation was perfect

    ReplyDelete