Making Key Fobs with Cricut

Making Key Fobs With Cricut
You could cut these from faux leather as well.  Cricut could cut either for you - but honestly, it's so much faster and less mess to just use a rotary cutter, or even scissors.

Cliff Note Version:
I'll describe how exactly I used the cricut to cut these at the end of this post. I did use the Air 2, and iron on bonding,  and it did cut just fine.  However, it took so much more time to set the cut up in design space, cut the material, clean the mat...  I could have cut these by hand SO much faster!

I used two pieces of material, each 10 inches long by 1.75 inch wide.  I actually did mine at 1.5, but I have adjusted for future ones to leave just a bit more for the seam allowance - I think my original ones are too thin.  

Even for the ones I cut by hand, I love the iron on webbing.  I used pellon 805.  It's $1.66 a yard at walmart.  You can also find it on amazon, but the shipping is not free, even with prime.   On Amazon, I'd recommend this one, because it's free shipping with prime.  I've used this before for sewing projects, so I'm very comfortable recommending this brand.

That iron on fusing adds stability.  You could also sew top stitch seams if you cut by hand and do not want to use the fusing.

Place fabric right sides together, stitch down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side.  Turn right side out.  (I used a huge knitting needle to help turn the fabric.)  Stretch flat, iron.  When you iron, the webbing inside will stick together, so make sure you line your seams up nice and flat.

Then I added my vinyl designs, before folding and adding the hardware. 
The monogram svgs I used are free here:  https://lovesvg.com/2016/08/monogram-love-svg-font/  When you upload each letter, it will show as all three letters - left, middle, right.  Ungroup and delete the ones you do not need.  Monogram format is First Initial, LAST initial, MIDDLE initial.  So Jane Ann Doe would be JDA as a monogram.
Find a whole bunch of free monogram svgs here - https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/11/free-monograms-split-monograms-for.html

Use HTV, and don't forget to mirror!

One end of the material is not sewed shut.  Trim it neatly, and iron - the iron on fusing will seal it, and it will be covered by the hardware.

Place the hardware over the top of both ends of the fabric.  Close with your fingers, then cover the clamp with a thin washcloth and press closed tightly with pliers.  I didn't use material over the clamp, and the pliers left marks - learn from my mistakes.  

That's it!  Quick and simple.

==================================================

Cutting these with Cricut


Again, I don't really recommend this.  It's SO much faster to cut these by hand.  But, if like me, you are intent on seeing how the machine does with fabric, this was my experience.

First, iron the fusible bond to the back of the fabric.  Then I cut it down to 12x12 to fit the mat.  I should have cut the paper first, at more like 11.75x11.75, then ironed it to the material, then cut around the bonding paper.

Remove the paper backing from the fusible bond.  I tried this both ways - cutting without removing the paper, and cutting with the paper removed.  It cut much better with the paper removed.

I also tried a piece with freezer paper ironed on to fabric, in place of the fusible web.  It sort of worked, but not great.  The material moved around a little and messed up the cuts.  This might be possible, if you make sure to iron the paper on a bit better, and maybe use painters tape around the edges....  but the fusible web is not that expensive, and for most little projects, it's a nice additional stabilizer anyway.

Now for Design Space


I created a rectangle 10 inches long by 11.5 inches wide.  Then I created score lines every 1.5 inches across.  I'd recommend making them 1.75 inches - a larger seam allowance is nice.  Turn the score lines into cut lines.



I did all of that so that there is ONE cut between each strip.  

For just one key fob, you can create a simple rectangle.

Place the fabric on the purple mat, and cut on fabric with bonding +.  From what I read, you SHOULD use the deep cut blade here. I thought I had one, but I apparently do not, so I just used the blade that has been in my machine since I bought it.  It worked just fine.


==================

For more Tips, Tricks, Tutorials, and Free SVGS,
Find Me On Facebook here:

==========================

Find More Cricut Project Tutorials Here:

https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2019/04/cricut-step-by-step-project-tutorials.html

==========================


No comments:

Post a Comment