Tried & True Zucchini Recipes



The other day I tossed some extra zucchinis into the pig pen, and the pigs looked at me as if to say "No thank you, we've had enough zucchini for one year."  They did eat it later, but I could relate to their initial response!  I only planted two zucchini plants this year.  Two.  And we could eat zucchini every night for dinner and still have extra for the pigs.

Thankfully, I have a few recipes that I really love!  I will also shred and freeze some for in vegetable soups this fall, and some to make zucchini bread too.

 Zucchini Nachos
This is definitely one of my favorite new recipes!  It's so simple.  Slice the zucchini.  Grill. Add some cheese at the end, just like you would on a cheeseburger.

(This year I am tossing the zucchini into the air fryer rather than grilling it)

Bring them in off the grill and top with nacho toppings - avacado, black beans, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream.. whatever you like. The Zucchini acts as the "chips".  YUM!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zucchini "Noodles"


This is soooooo  easy!  Next time I'm going to add some carrots too.  You use a julienne peeler just like a regular peeler.  It's quick and easy.  I blanched them - placing them in boiling water for just a few minutes, then draining.  

I use a Julienne peeler made by OXO - it works great for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peanut Chicken on Zucchini Noodles
I found this recipe here, where I first learned about using zucchini in place of pasta :

I adapted her peanut sauce recipe just a little:
Peanut Sauce:
1/2 c peanut butter
4 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice vinegar [or apple cider vinegar in a tsp of sugar]
a drizzle of sesame oil
1 tsp minced garlic 
a sprinkle of sugar
At least 1/4 cup water, add 1-2 more tablespoons depending on texture

The main difference is I used a lot more soy sauce than the original recipe  The peanut butter was just too strong for me until I added a lot more, then I really liked it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zesty Zucchini Fries

My favorite thing about this recipe is adding hot sauce to the egg before dipping in the breading.  That is genius! One Zucchini made enough fries for my husband and myself.  It's a little time consuming to make - but it was REALLY good.  

Dip cut up zucchini in an egg, beaten, with some hot sauce added to the egg.
Then dip in a mixture of panko bread crumbs and italian seasoning
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, flip gently, bake for another 10 minutes.

I have some lemon pepper panko crumbs that I think would be excellent on this as well.  And I used some regular italian bread crumbs for a few for my husband - that worked well too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zucchini Bread
When we bought the farm from my mother in law, it came with a recipe drawer.  Her recipes, recipes from aunts, friends, sister in laws, mostly in family members handwriting.  My daughter and I have been working our way through all of them, but it is taking us awhile to try them all.  This one we have used many times..  but we substitute butter for the oil.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup cooking oil 
2 cups sugar (I use half brown sugar)
3 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flower
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Bake for 1 hour at 325
==============================================

More Recipes To Try:

Zucchini Boats
Parmesan Garlic Zucchini Chips
Basalmic Grilled Zucchini
Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini Tots
Zucchini Noodles
      With Pesto
Beer Battered Zucchini Rings
Zucchini Pizza bites
Zucchini Crust Pizza
Stacked Summer Salad


=======================







1 comment:

  1. This is a marvelous post - well timed for the season - I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kahty

    ReplyDelete