Coconut Cake - from Grammie Smith's Cookbook

While working on the Smith Genealogy, Dan's mom lent me two family bibles, a shoe box of newspaper clippings, and her mother's cookbook.   

Note, there is no coconut in this coconut cake recipe.  :-)  I think it's safe to assume it is to be frosted with  a coconut icing.

Coconut Cake
1/2 c butter
1 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c milk
2 c pastry flower
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar well, add eggs beaten, then milk last flour sifted well with baking powder.  Bake modern oven about 15 minutes.

I found this recipe for coconut icing - 
3/4 cup salted butter softened, 1 1/2 sticks.
9 Tablespoons shortening Crisco.
1 1/2 cups sugar granulated.
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour sifted.
1 cup milk 
3/4 tsp vanilla extract.

18 oz  shredded coconut 
Cream the butter and crisco and sugar, then add the flower, milk and vanilla.
Beat for 10-12 minutes. (Thank God for kitchen aid!)
ice the cake, then add the coconut all over the icing, patting it down.

Grammie Smith lived through the depression, and was always very frugal.  I haven't looked too closely at all the recipes yet, but I will share them as I do.  This one is mixing up in my kitchen right now.  

=======================


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather. What a great project you have here. This is such a treasure for both your immediate and extended families. I'm looking forward to your updates on this project. :-) Thank you for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday.
    I think you are right about the coconut sprinkled on the white icing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather....I just love what you're doing with the recipe book! The cake looks like it would be good even without the coconut....I don't like coconut very much either even though my Easter Bunny cake has lots of it. Good thing the rest of my family loves it! :)

    ReplyDelete