A Year Long Murder Mystery Quilt Making Adventure

All About my 2024 Attempt to Sew A Quilt, and Solve A Murder

"The Murder Mystery Quilt is a monthly subscription club that reads along together and stitches up a quilt to find clues and solve the murder.   This is a mystery quilt in the traditional sense–you sew a block each month and the overall design of the quilt isn’t revealed until all the blocks are sewn–but it’s also a MYSTERY quilt: each month, along with the block pattern and design, you receive a chapter of a mystery story.  Each chapter reveals clues as the plot unfolds, and it’s your job to seek out whodunit!"

Apparently Whipstitch has been doing this event for years, but I just saw it this year. It cost $100 for the year, so not inexpensive, but considering what we spend on our annual murder mystery parties here at the farm, this is a bargain.  

AND I'm hoping it will get me back in the habit of using my sewing machine, which has mostly been collecting dust since I got my cricut back in 2017.

Murder In Greece

"When a researcher is discovered hanged in an olive grove, Kitty immediately knows all is not as it seems. As a paleoethnobotanist, an archaeologist who studies plants in prehistory, her in-depth knowledge of plant and human interactions gives her clues that help track down a killer--and for the first time, she begins to wonder if maybe she enjoys solving crime as much as she enjoys exploring the past! After all, aren't people the same, no matter where or when they are?

Come along with Kitty to explore all of Greece--ancient and modern--as she unknots a crime that no one saw coming! Track the killer through olive groves & olive oil factories; through the mists of the oracle in the mountains and to the edges of the sea in Crete; along rocky volcanic calderas and along the winding streets of a resort town on a speeding moped, all alongside Kitty as she unravels a mystery and, for the first time, kinda loves it.

Your quilt will grow as the clues pile up, and along the way, you'll learn skills, make friends, and discover a community you can count on."

Participants are split up into different facebook groups, for smaller group conversation throughout the project.  I'm in the  Demeter Clue Crew.

I'm not new to sewing.  My mom is quite proficient with her sewing machine, my grandmother was a noted seamstress making authentic Civil War Re-enactment uniforms [unfortunately, I didn't meet my grandmother until much later in life, when she was no longer actively sewing those.  That's a complicated story for another day.] 

Anyway, I've grown up with sewing machines.  And because my mom knew her and I could not work together, she sent me to a neighbor, an exacting German Seamstress, to learn how to sew properly.   The shortcuts I take today I would never have dared attempt under her watchful eye.  :-)

I'm proficient.  As a teenager, I won awards, but these days..  well, my vision is not great, and my patience is even less.  So we'll see how this goes.  :-)

I have at least 3 quilts in progress.  And by "in progress", I mean some of them have been started and not finished for more than 20 years...  

This will be an experience. 

A Basket Of Options
[My mom has a staggering stash of material.  More than the average fabric store around here]

So far my biggest struggle is choosing fabrics, with no idea what the finished quilt will look like!  This is difficult!  But I'm going to just go with it.  This is definitely, for me, more about the experience than the outcome.  

Of course I'll share my progress, and thoughts, along the way.  

===========================
Whipstitch, the host of this event, has an entire series of 
HOW TO QUILT videos on YouTube



No comments:

Post a Comment