How To Split Up An SVG To Use Up Vinyl Scraps

It's Not The Home That I Love
It's The Life That Is Lived Here 

This svg was free from Dezartisan during the February Love Event in 2020
If you missed it, it's no longer free, but can be purchased here:

It's difficult to imagine now that I have been doing this for years and have an overstocked craft area - but at the time, I didn't have a large enough piece of vinyl to cut this.  So I split the svg up and cut it on scraps, then lined the pieces up on the pillow case.  Here's how:

I make my own pillow cases from cheap fabric from Wal-mart.  They are 4 straight seems - a great beginner sewing project! Here's how to make them:


I didn't have a 12x12 piece of black htv, but I did have a bunch of 4x12 scraps
So I attached the design in sections, and changed the colors so that one section was sent to it's own mat to cut.  I put black vinyl on the mat for each cut - no matter what design space shows the color as, it will cut from whatever I put on the mat.

Two of the sections I left in black in design space.  I attached the top pieces, then separately, attached the pieces around the "life" part of the design.


When I click "make it" I could then move the pieces to make sure they are going to cut where the vinyl is on the mat.
The mat in design space is the same as the mat you put your vinyl on.  See how the word "Life" it just below the 5 on the grid here?  As long as my vinly starts at the 5 on my mat, and ends at the 8, this will work.

And it did cut beautifully, even though it was seperate scrap pieces of vinyl.

Then I pieced the three sections together to form the design


==========================


My favorite black htv is Transwonder Matte Black.  It works out to roughly $1.40 a sq foot, with free shipping if you have Amazon prime

https://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/cricut-which-vinyl-do-i-need-where-do-i.html



Find More Cricut Project Tutorials Here:

=========================


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful project and great tutorial! I loads of scraps that I should do this with!

    ReplyDelete