Making A Rolled Paper Flower Wreath

How to make a rolled paper flower wreath
Quick Tips:
  • 10 Inch Foam Wreath Form from The Dollar Tree
  • I used the free rolled flower svg found here.  
  • 17 Sheets of  8.5 x11 paper .
  • Roughly 85 flowers. (It will vary based on how tightly you roll the flowers  - and although it sounds like an insane amount, they come together really quickly!)
  • Quick Dry Tacky Glue (although hot glue would work too!)
  • It took me three days to complete - but I worked on it VERY sporadically while watching tv, or having the flowers cut while I folded laundry.  Really, it didn't take nearly as long as I expected.

I used the free rolled flower svg found here.   I used the one that is shown in blue here. It's named "Simple Flower"   There are SOOOOOO many free svgs for rolled paper flowers.

Find a list here:

These packs of paper are frequently around $3, or less,  on sale at Michaels.
Construction paper does not work well in cricut - it's too fibrous.  But most cardstock works just fine.  Recollections from Michaels and Paper Studio from Hobby Lobby are my go to favorites, because those stores are my closest craft store options.  :-)

3.749 W by 3.71 H
I left the flower template sized exactly as it uploaded - which is 3.749 wide.  I'm confident you could make them just a bit smaller to fit 6 on a page, but the paper from Michaels is so cheap, I didn't mind a little waste to make them the larger size.

Once cut, you roll starting with the outside edge.

Start twisting it on to itself starting at the outside edge. When you get to the inside end, wrap the last little bit underneath the bottom of the flower and put a big dot of glue on it.

Press the rest of the flower down on to it and pinch the flower together, holding both the top and the bottom, until it becomes "stable"  - meaning it holds together and all the layers do not pop up

Because I was unsure how many flowers I would need, I made 25 at a time.  I ended up using about 85 flowers, which sounds like so impossibly many, but it really went fairly quickly!  I rolled them while watching tv.


I used a quick dry tacky glue - because I had it on hand, and I didn't want to plug the hot glue gun in in my living room.  It worked really well.  The glue dried clear.
https://amzn.to/3awykfI

Since I made this a couple of years ago, I have tried Art Glitter Glue, which, along with Bearly Art Glue, are recommended by most paper crafters.  I love how easy it is to apply with the fine tip, but I was soon frustrated by how often the tip clogged up.  For most of my paper crafting these days, I use a cordless hot glue gun, or Elmers Precision Craft Tip glue.  It comes in little tubes, is very inexpensive, can be purchased in almost every store, and almost  never clogs up for me.  I don't know if it would dry quick enough for this project though - hot glue would definitely be my preferred choice if I were to make this again.

I used a 10 inch foam "floral ring" wreath form.
If I had thought of it when at the store, I would have purchased red ribbon to wrap around it.  Since I did not think of it, I instead took some red fabric from my sewing stash and ripped it into strips, which I then wrapped around the wreath form.

I was not extremely consistent in how tightly I rolled my flowers.  Paper crafts are never my strong point, and yet although not perfect, I found this project to be pretty easy.  In other words, if I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can.  :-)


==========================

Free svgs & Templates for Rolled & Other Small Paper Flowers
======================

No comments:

Post a Comment