The Cheapest Sublimation Printer Option? Alternatives to Cricut Infusible Ink.



With all of the talk this week about Cricut Infusible Ink, I've started compiling alternatives from the comments.  Please note that I have not (yet) tried any of  these - I'm just collecting the information at the moment! 

NOTE - This page is from 2019, Prices have most likely changed!  But probably not for the better...

Infusible Ink is cricut's version of sublimation printing, and I include the prices of their materials, and an expected release date, at the bottom of this post.

A Little About Sublimation
"Dye-sublimation works by penetrating the surface of the substrate with ink. Man-made materials such as nylon, certain plastics, and polyester fabrics contain polymers that when heated, enable the bonding of ink.

Dye-sublimation printing yields beautiful and permanent colors that are embedded in the substrate or fabric, rather than printed on the surface. Images on fabric won’t fade or crack even after multiple washings. Images on hard substrates will not chip, peel or scratch."https://www.rolanddga.com/blog/2016/06/02/22/42/3-things-you-should-know-about-dye-sublimation

1. Everlast Patterns From Heat Transfer Source
(Sublimation pages pre-printed for you, ready to be cut in your cricut machine)


2. There is talk of an online company that will do custom sublimation.  I don't know if that will be the heat transfer site above, or another one, I do not have that information yet. (If you have companies to recommend, please message me!)

3. Buy An Epson Printer and Sublimation Ink Kit -

Epson C88 Printer
https://amzn.to/2WmoDIk


Sublimation CISS system for Epson C88
https://amzn.to/2K3KnXM
Does this include ink?  Or do I need to purchase that separately? I don't know..
Ink - https://amzn.to/2I2aFaD

Sublimation paper to print on
https://amzn.to/2IpGid9

Well, that added up fast.  At least $200 to get started with sublimation?  And that does not include any items to actually use the prints on.  Also consider that most of the new irons will not get hot enough to work with  any of these methods.  You will want a heat press, an easy press, or possibly, and old thrift store iron.


4. Infusible Ink From Cricut - Prices
Expected to be available at Michaels on July 16th online, 22nd in store.
(Personally, I expect to see a lot of it in the clearance section by Christmas...  I can wait)


==========================





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My understanding is it won't last on cotton. Cotton/poly blend is fine, but 100% poly is best.

      Delete