2011 End Of Year Book Survey


1. Best Book You Read In 2011? 


To try to decide, I logged into goodreads and sorted by rating. I gave 14 books 5 stars this year.  Looking them over, I'm not sure I still feel 5 stars strong about some of them..  but my favorites definitely include- 


Learning to Swim Reshaping It All Room Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal  The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us?  The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World

  • Learning To Swim By Sara J. Henry
  • Reshaping It All by Candace Bure
  • Room by Emma Donaghue
  • Little Princes by Connor Grenanan
  • Choosing To See by Mary Beth Chapman
  • The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Sterns

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?
A Stolen Life
reversing the ratings sort  - I hated A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard.  As I said in my review, it's her story, and how do you say it's a horrible book when she is simply telling her story..  but it's a horrible book and I wish those things had never entered my head.  It is horrible that she had to live through all of that.
Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales #7) The Postmistress The Year of Fog
The Year of Fog, The Postmistress, and Lowcountry Summer are all ones I felt wasted by time.  Sometimes I should just stop reading a book and not feel so obligated to read something that I obviously do not enjoy.


3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

Learning to Swim
Learning To Swim By Sara J. Henry 
I don't even remember why I read this one - it was free, or someone lent it to me, and I didn't expect too much..  but it was one of the best books I read this year.
 

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?
 
Room The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us?  The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World
The Room by Emma Donaghue & The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Sterns

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?Evil in Carnations (Flower Shop Mystery, #8) 
The Flower Shop Mysteries by Kate Collins.  "Cozy Mysteries" - but a little, little, like the Stephanie Plum series.  Funny, light, implausible.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

Night Road If Books Could Kill (A Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
Kristen Hannah & Kate Carlisle.  

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I read all over the place..  mystery, romance, drama, history, cozy mysteries.. but I don't read science fiction.  I didn't read any this year.. but I think I will try at least one in 2012.
 

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Room 
The Room by Emma Donaghue 

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?

 Explosive Eighteen by Stephanie Plum.  Yes, I was a bit disappointed.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal



11. Most memorable character in 2011? 

Connor Grennan in Little Princes & Richard Stern in The Hole In Our Gospel

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?
Winter Garden
beautiful...  hmmmm..  maybe Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011? 

Starting with The Hole In Our Gospel, Out Live Your Life came next, and then Little Princes this fall..  all three along the same theme.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read? 
?? I think everything I read was pretty current  - a lot of new releases.
 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011? 
I don't  have that kind of memory - sorry.


16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012? 
The bible.  Pretty much the only book I reread.
 

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a  moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! 
Nothing like that..  but The Hole In Our Gospel made me want to talk to my family right away, about what we could do better.


See what others answered here - 

No comments:

Post a Comment