January Reads, 2024

 
What I read in January 2024, and a look at what's on my to read list for February

The Stars Don't Lie by Boo Walker

 This is my recommendation for a February book club read - lots to discuss from this one, and excellent character development.  It could be considered  a love story, or two love stories , but not the Hallmark version. Not depressing either - just a much more real story about life and love.  

This book was just really well written.  A lot of what I read isn't, and sometimes I don't care - I do love a good mystery, even if the characters are not well developed.  This however, is not a mystery.  It was just a beautiful read, so very well done.  There were parts of the plot that did have me rolling my eyes at times.  Times you want to shake the main character and tell him to get over it.  But, it was worth reading through and seeing how that all comes together in the end.    Just all around nicely done. 

Let me start by saying, the ending of this is convoluted and ridiculous.  Perhaps that is why I couldn't make up my mind who the killer was the whole way through the book - maybe the author didn't really know either?  But the convoluted solution didn't ruin the book for me.  Perhaps because I know nothing at all about summiting a mountain, so I couldn't nit pick the details of the story, I just thoroughly enjoyed reading this.  And the final resolution does work, there IS a satisfying end to the story.  It was just the  little gimmicky "Nope, not quite -  tricked you!" before that ending, that I found to be a bit much.  

The other mysteries I read this month included The Other Mothers & Two Dead Wives. Neither is really worth the mention,

The Mysterious Case Of Rudolf Diesel by Douglas Brunt

Non Fiction, this is definitely not light and quick reading.  It took me more than a month to finish this one.  But it was incredibly interesting!  Diesel's life is fascinating and fun to read about.  His invention of the diesel engine...  well, those details can get to be a bit tedious to read through, but the author does a great job of switching back and forth so it's not too much all at once.  I was afraid this would end up being a conspiracy theory book, but it was not that at all.  When it came to the end and describing all of the facts and theories surrounding Diesel's disappearance, they were handled well, and I find it hard to disagree with the authors conclusion.  
Light, Cozy mysteries. The first was set in Scotland, 2-4 were set in England.
Featuring an American Antiques Dealer, and an English DI, along with a great variety of extra English characters.  I've very much enjoyed this series - the last two books being my favorites so far.  There is one more book published - a Christmas themed book I have not yet read, and another book due out in June.  You can also receive two free short stories by signing up for her emails

The Maid Series By Nita Prose
Also quick easy reads - the first of the series was a book club read for me, and I was not a fan.  I found it to be VERY stressful, and then, a bit...  off putting.  The character herself does not make sense. She's written as so incredibly naive and clueless that it hurts..  and then later you find that she's actually a skilled liar..  We had a few laughs discussing the  book at book club, as we pointed out all of its many issues.  I really don't know why I read the second book - probably just because it was available, and I knew it would be a quick read.  Much less stressful, but still not one of my favorite series.

I also read the latest in the Enola Holmes series - a series that I adore.  VERY quick reads.  I believe they are Young Adult books.

===============
Up Next
On My To Read Radar For February
================
What I plan to read, and what I actually read, may not have anything to do with each other.  But these 4 are the books I currently expect to read in February 2024.  The first one for a book club, the second one is non fiction that interest me, the third is a recommendation from my daughter, and the 4th is a thriller that caught my attention.
===============================
RELEASING IN FEBRUARY 2024
========================

February 6th
The Uncharted Flight of Olivia West by Sara Ackerman [inspired by real events]
The Women by Kristin Hannah 
The Teacher by Freida McFadden

February 13th
The Summer Book Club by Susan Mallery
The Phoenix Crown by Kate Quinn and Janie Chang [San Francisco Earthquake]


February 20th
        The Guest By B.A. Paris
End Of The Story by A.J. Flinn
        The Hidden Life of Cecily Larson by Ellen Baker
        Last to Eat, Last to Learn: My Life in Afghanistan Fighting to Educate Women by  Pashtana Durrani 

February 27th
Three-Inch Teeth [Joe Pickett] by C.J. Box  [One of my husbands favorite series]

======================

This is what our local book clubs are reading in February:

I read the Patterson book back in 2014, my goodreads comment back then was simply that John Green wrote this story better.  I admit to not really remembering either book, at this point.  :-)  I don't know how many of these I will read in February - but these are all on my to read list.

This is the audio I am most excited about.  It may take me the entire year to get through it, but I'm going to listen to all of the chapters in the Moby Dick Big Read.  Each chapter is read by someone different, all "famous", although I don't recognize most of the names, personally.  Still, I look forward to listening to this project.  And then when I'm done, I'd like to read the new book by Tara Karr Roberts, which "uses Moby Dick as a jumping off point."
Read more about all of that here:

No comments:

Post a Comment