An Owl Candy Holder, Using a Free Egg Holder SVG

   
The Owl Egg Holder, Turned Into  A Dome Candy Holder

My 2 year old Grandson was concerned that I had not only made a craft, but a craft with CANDY without his help.    :-) 
These candy holder "bauble", or "dome" designs are incredibly popular this year  [2022]
To be completely honest - I don't really like them myself.  I've made several from the craft summits this year, and I think they are too big, too heavy, and too much work for what is essentially a candy wrapper.  But, that is only my opinion.  Others love thes!

You can often convert an egg holder svg into a dome candy holder, just by resizing (usually you need to make the item a bit larger), using contour to remove the egg shape, then slice a new circle shape out.

I like to use this mechanism for the back, from SVG Nation.  It allows you to open and close the back, rather than just tear the back open.

Video of the mechanism on the back for getting the candy out

==========================

Here's the quick list of things to know:
  •  For the domes, I use half a refillable Christmas ornament.  I get mine at Dollar General, where they are 2 for  $1, two ornaments being 4 halves, or enough for 4 ornaments.
  • The size of the hole in the center will depend on the domes you use.  I don't have a good solid answer for this yet - but slice a circle a tad smaller than your plastic dome.  The Dollar General Ornaments are about 2.7 inches in diameter.  I sliced a 2.59 diameter circle from the owl to make this.
  • Free Owl Egg Holder SVG
  • Mechanism for the back is from the free pumpkin candy holder svg found here
  • Find a post with a list of free candy holders, here
================
First, upload & contour

These are all the pieces that upload for the owl egg holder.
I deleted the hearts, and the base on the bottom left here.

Then click on the owl body, choose contour in Design Space
And delete the egg shape.  Repeat for the second owl body.

That leaves you with this.
The owls are pretty large to begin with, so you won't need to make these much larger.  
If you choose select all/align center, that will stack the body pieces, and then you can resize to:   5.579 x 6.554

That size worked well for me.  But these really are quite large!

In addition to slicing a circle from the owl, you will want to slice that "notch" out of the back, for the mechanism to work.

I just put a square over the hole in the pumpkin, and sliced.
Then I had the shape for the back piece, to slice out of the back of my owl.


======================














No comments:

Post a Comment