MYSVGHUT Classic Red Truck Snow Globe, Step By Step



This is my step by step from my very first attempt making this.  I took the photos as I worked, and I made some mistakes.  But nothing major, and it was really super easy to make!  I've made notes on what I would do differently next time, they are included in the steps.  I plan to put a battery operated tea light in the bottom of  these....  and I will probably add some writing to the snow globe base.

Cliff Notes:

  • This is a paid file.  $2.69. 
  • So much easier to put together than you'd think - it's probably the easiest paper project I've done yet!  Assembly literally takes about 5 minutes.
  • I used a glue stick.  There are probably much better options - but a glue stick worked fine.
  • The paper is all 8.5 x 11 from the card stock packs sold at Michaels,  4 sheets white, 2 sheets red, scraps of green, black, grey, and sparkly silver.
  • Cricut Air Explore 2, regular blade, set on cardstock
  • 6.5 Tall & 6 inches wide, 2 inches deep (when opened)
  • Yes, it folds flat so you can mail them!


Note the shiny papers used here - I just used plain card stock, with an accent piece for the bottom of the globe that was in the drawer as a scrap.  When I make the next one, I would like to either cut the back circle out of a glittered paper, or I might just cut a plain circle and add glitter or glitter paint..

I bought this file here:
It's from MYSVGHUT - a reputable etsy seller.  (I'm often anti - etsty, becasue I've bought files from people who had no right to be selling them.  That's not the case here, this designer is legit.)

If you browse her site, or search by "snow globes" - there are SO MANY cute designs!  But once you have a basic snow globe design, it wouldn't be too hard to modify it with some of your own designs and details either.



I really had no idea at all what I was doing, so after uploading the svg file to design space, I just hit make it.



It went to 14 mats.

7 mats of white 
1 mat sparkly silver for snow globe bottom
1 mat grey accents for on truck
1 mat green - the tree
1 mat black - truck tires
2 mats dark red for the front and back of the snow globe
1 mat lighter red for the truck (I used the same red as the front and back)

Personally, I skipped the grey and white truck accents - I just didn't care for them.  I cut them out, I just did not end up using them.

I'm showing a screen shot of the mats as they were originally - I think mat 4, mat 5, mat 7, and mat 9 could EASILY all be combined into ONE mat.  



In Design Space, Click ungroup.  Then move all of these pieces together - similar to what I show in the photo below.  Select each of these pieces, and attach them all together.  Then when you hit make it, they will all be on ONE sheet, and all still fit on one piece of 8.5x11 paper.


That will change this to 11 mats, instead of 14.  

4 mats of white 
1 mat sparkly silver for snow globe bottom
1 mat grey accents for on truck
1 mat green - the tree
1 mat black - truck tires
2 mats dark red for the front and back of the snow globe
1 mat lighter red for the truck (I used the same red as the front and back)


After cutting this out, I set it aside for three days.  I was so intimidated by it, I had NO idea how to assemble it, and I seriously hate youtube instructional videos.  But I finally broke down and watched this one.  It's NOT for this exact snow globe, but it's the best I could find, and it was not too annoying. 

It was actually quite easy!


First glue the white circle to the back of the red piece.  (This is the circle I would like to add glitter to next time...  I think I'd like glue and glitter better than glitter paper even - more dimension).

And assemble the truck.  If you look close, you will notice I made a mistake here and did NOT attach the red truck to the white truck.  Next time I will definitely use the white part!   I did not add all the little grey and white accents to the truck - I like it plain.  And I put the tree in backwards - because I like the way it looks this way  - but I might change my mind next time...

I attached the truck to the white part with the trees.  



The score lines on these are fantastic.  I did NOT need the scoring tool, they are cut in.  Small cuts that make for really great score lines.  Look at the piece on the right - you want to glue that little flap on the far left to the back of the red piece on the left.  This is the outside of the snowglobe.


This is also when you should glue the base onto the front of the card.  I did not do this, I ended up adding mine once the card was almost all the way together...  and in this photo, note that I forgot the white piece behind the sparkly silver piece.  (I pulled it back off and added the white background)

Now we add the white inside pieces - they get glued on the left, lining up the bottoms and starting with the trees & truck.

Fold that piece back, and glue the next white piece right beside the first, and repeat with the third.
If you look at the two white pieces with the snowflakes, one has a larger cut circle than the other. The smaller circle goes in the middle, larger one all the way in front.

In this picture, all of the left side is glued and attached. The right side is not yet attached.  Mine are not lines up quite as perfectly as they should be. It still worked out just fine.

In the video, she glues each white piece, from the right edge to the score line, and attaches them one at a time.  I just put glue on all three pieces (from the right edge to the score line) and pulled the red piece from the right, across, as shown below.


This is when I actually attached the base on the front of the card.  As I said, I should have done that when I was gluing the truck together, one of the first steps.  But this worked too.


The last step is to glue the last little red flap to from the back to the front.


After it is assembled, you can still fold it flat to mail it!  And you can stick a battery operated tea light candle  under it, between the layers, to give it a great effect!  

Cutting this out takes much longer than actually assembling it.  You can assemble this in about 5 minutes - it really is that easy!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh can't believe you did this for us today, you are my angel hahaha. Don't know why but putting it together was the hardest part for me and I watched the video. I think it's in my brain now but not sure if I want to print again. I purchased 3 of them, they are gorgeous. Well third time lucky and they sent me you for a reason, so here I go. My first is the English phone box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I am not the only one who struggled with how to assemble it!! :-)

      Delete