Giant Bubble Recipe

A Recipe For Giant Bubble Solution

I'm sort of in love with these.  We don't have any small children here, so when we were hosting a skeet shoot (families welcome) I finally got a chance to make up a batch, in anticipation of children visiting the farm.  The first batch was fun - but the cornstarch kept settling to the bottom.  For the second batch, I heated the water first, and it stayed mixed better.  (It does still occasionally need stirred).


THE RECIPE
6 cups water 
1/2 cup corn starch 
1 tbsp baking powder 
1-2 tbsp Glycerin
1/2 cup blue Dawn dish detergent
(The recipe I have says to let it sit for one hour before using)


The first time I made them, I used a huge bowl.  The second time I used a drink pitcher - the drink pitcher works better.  You don't want to lay this in flat like a regular bubble wand, instead dip the string in with the straws held together, then pull apart once out of the mixture.
Yesterday afternoon I found out there would be some extra teenage girls here for a campfire, and I was ridiculously giddy over the opportunity to make another batch and try again. LOL!  


The "wand" is cotton yarn (I bought it to make dishcloths) and straws.  I've been playing with different configurations  - last night we added a washer to the bottom to weight the string down, that definitely helped, but I haven't come up with the "perfect" wand yet.  Dan put some holes in some dow rods for me last night for one set - I like those a lot, but want thinner dows and maybe some eye hooks at the end...  I'm having so much fun playing with these, I think there will probably be a batch of giant bubble mix on my porch all summer long.

=======================


No comments:

Post a Comment