Making Pasta

(Lasagna recipe at bottom of post)

My first batch of pasta, using the KitchenAid Pasta attachment

A couple of weeks before Christmas my kids were at the mall Christmas shopping, and I received a text from the youngest.  "If we buy you a pasta maker for your mixer, will you make us pasta?"  LOL! Two years ago, the kids all went together with Dan and bought me the Kitchen Aid Mixer, I think they realized that worked out pretty well for them.  


my set came with these three attachments.. one is the roller (which you need for every batch, and will also work for lasagna, ravioli, and pierogies...) one is for spaghetti, and one is for fettuccine.


I've put off using it, because I knew nothing about it, and didn't have the time to read the manual.  When I did finally sit down with the manual, I almost packed it back in the box and walked away.  But I couldn't help but think I knew too many people who have done this, it can NOT be that hard..  so I went to YouTube.  I'm a visual learner.  

KitchenAid has it's own youtube channel, and the simplest video:
http://youtu.be/_RGXdFdcUYE   And although I am not making ravioli today, and when I do I am not using this specific attachment, I watched this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dufoH9mFEeE  & this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnj-chlS_WQ AND this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aife3gOEYo

With all of that information, I felt confident this would be pretty easy.  And I was right.  

I used the standard egg recipe:


4 eggs
3.5 cups of flour
1Tbsp water
1 tsp salt

And then I added italian seasoning, just because I could.



I mixed all of the above using the paddle in my KA.  It was crumbly. I got my hands good and wet, and formed it together, then split it into 4 balls.  First I tried flattening the balls with my hands, but I didn't get it thin enough - I used the rolling pin to flatten it a bit more.  It doesn't have to be thin, it just cannot be in a ball anymore.



Attach the roller.  Turn the dial to 1.  Run the dough through.  The first time, sometimes the first two times, I got a crumbly strip.  Fold in in half, run it through again.  By the 3rd time it looks pretty good, but I did each one 4 times.

The first time through

The fourth time through (I had my son hold this one so I could get a pic)

Then move the dial to 4 or 5, and run it through a 5th time.  The higher the number, the thinner the pasta.

Then attach the cutter and run it through to cut it.  I originally planned to just make lasagna, but since I had this all out, and I really wanted to try it, I made noodles for lunch - Fettuccine size noodles that I tossed with melted butter and parmesan cheese, and served with a salad.  It was SO good!  


Pasta, tossed with butter and parmesan cheese

For the first strip of lasagna dough, that 5th time through I ran it at number 5.  That seemed a little thin to me, so I ran the rest of it through at 4.  Either would work I think.  I added parmigiana cheese right into the dough for the lasagna too. 

Lasagna Noodles


 Lasagna ingredients:
Noodles
Sauce
Ricotta cheese mixed with egg, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, and garlic
parmesan cheese
Provolone, Mozzarella, & Cheddar cheese, shredded in the food processor
Ground beef mixed with fried onions & mushrooms
Cream cheese melted and mixed with a little sauce
Italian seasoning, and garlic powder, salt  & pepper

Layer noodles, ricota mixture, sauce
noodles, hamburg mixture, sauce, cheese
noodles, cream cheese mixture, sauce, more cheese
Noodles, sauce, cheese

The noodles were too wide for two across, I trimmed them a bit.  

One batch of dough, and all of the ingredients shown above, made one large lasagna pan, and one smaller pan, with just those few scraps shown here leftover.   The thinner the dough (remember, I did one strip on 5, and the rest on 4) the more it would make.  I often make lasagna in my crock pot roaster, this batch would make a nice deep pan of lasagna in there..















Comments

  1. OMYGOSH....this looks sooo amazing and sounds so gooood.
    Here from Rattlebridge....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment