Who, What, Where, When & How - 9/29/17

Who I am listening to; What I am reading, Using, Making ; Where I am traveling; and When New books are releasing or events are happening, How to's I discovered or used,  this week.

Who
I've been listening to John Grisham this week.  He did a 13 week book tour in podcasts.  It is fabulous.  Each week he is in a different bookstore, with different authors from the area of the bookstore, and they talk about the writing process, books, and all sorts of things.  Stop 13, with Lisa Scottoline, was one of my favorites - she's very funny, I definitely want to look for her weekly column.

What
My favorites were Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer, All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda, and The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell.  (A lot of Bronte readers were disappointed by the book - but I am not familiar enough with the facts about Brontes to pick up on any discrepancies that would irritate me, and I thoroughly enjoyed this as a light read)  

Little Fires Everywhere started slow for me, and I almost didn't finish it.  I head John Grisham say, in one of his podcasts, that he gives a book 50 pages, and if he doesn't like it, he puts it down and reads something else.  I immediately thought I should move on from this book, then I looked and saw I was only 30 pages in.  I decided to give it 50 - and by then I was hooked and had trouble putting it back down until I had finished reading it.

Genuine Fraud was another one that I really liked a lot.  The book is told in reverse.  Week 9, then week 8...  and it was fun to see how things we thought we understood had different meaning when we heard what had happened earlier.  It kept me off balance, making it take longer for me to "figure out" the mystery.  I kind of loved it.  Some have said it's a pretty direct rip off of another book - The Talented Mr Riply by Patricia Highsmith.  I haven't read that, but I have added it to my to read list.

I have never read a Harlan Coben book I wouldn't recommend.  I love his books.  He was on one of Grisham's podcasts too - so I got to hear him talk about the book, and about his writing process, the same week I read his latest book.  I enjoyed that a lot.


From my goodreads list - what I have read in September:


Where
"Today's adventure was supposed to be a train ride to bike 25 miles on the Lehigh gorge. But they sold out before we got our tickets.  I try to push my knee a bit harder on our Sunday trips... so today we decided to tackle the red trail at Bushkill falls. 1267 steps. Not walking steps - 1267 stairs. It's not a bad hike at all - I'm just still really struggling with this knee. But it's progress - I could at least do this today!" - fb post from 9/24

We certainly have traveled a lot this month!  We have this HUGE shed project, and a zillion farm projects in progress.  But on Sundays, we do not do farm work.  To get away from all the work, and stress of the half done projects, we often take trips on Sundays.  These double as therapy for my knee (still recovering from MCL surgery - apparently recovery is not nearly as fast as I thought it would be).  So we take hikes and try things that I know will stretch me and my knee out of it's comfort zone.  This past week-end, we traveled to Bushkill Falls.  It was 90 degrees, but not so bad on the wooded trail.  That was a LOT of steps for my knee, but I did well.  

Afterwards we went to a geocaching event in NJ - but we were the only ones who showed up, besides the organizers.

I'm working on posts on all of our trips - this month alone we have taken road trips to Bushkill Falls, Wellsboro & The PA Grand Canyon, Worlds End & The Forksville General Store.


When
Coming Up - 
Fort Freeland Heritage Days in Watsontown Pa
Our sons wedding!

September Events In The Valley - 
http://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/2017/09/events-in-valley-september-2017.html

How:

I made a vinyl decal for our mailbox, using Cricut.  Step by step how to here:
http://fieldsofhether.blogspot.com/2017/09/truck-mailbox-decal.html



No comments:

Post a Comment